Gate of the Rat

The quiet air whistled through the tree's leaves as Gray and the kids walked into the center of the village. Nothing but the soft sounds of nature could be heard as they looked around for any signs of life.

"This place has become a ghost town," Gray said.

Gold looked up at Gray. "Did there used to be people living here before, Daddy?"

"Not people. Demons."

Elrick shuddered as he heard that. "D-demons?!"

"Yeah. They were friendly demons though." Gray placed a hand under his chin. "But it looks like they've all abandoned the place for some reason.

"Do you know why?" Aki asked, curiously.

Gray shook his head. "I wish." He walked forward a bit more, staring up at the cloudy night sky. "I wonder why they would do that. What would cause them to want to leave this place?"

Hestia's eyes lit up with excitement. "Are we gonna get to be detectives?"

"You might," Gray said, turning to face the kids. "If I can't find anything out on my own."

The orange-haired girl's shoulders slumped down. "What is that supposed to mean?"

"It means that you'll be staying in this village until I can figure out what's going on."

"Aw boo." Hestia stuck her tongue out at Gray. "That's no fun."

"Like it or not, that's what's happening." The ice wizard pointed over to one of the houses in the village. "Go over there. You can rest in that house while I try and get some answers."

Aki held her hands in front of her chest. "Will you be okay, Uncle Gray?"

"I'll be fine. Don't forget, I'm an S-Class wizard." He smirked with pride. He turned on his heels and suddenly his voice grew grave. "You kids stay safe, alright? No matter what, don't leave that house."

Freed, Bicsklow, and Evergreen walked through the paved road, surrounded by talll lanky black trees. A thick putrid aroma burned through their nostrils as they continued down the path.

A small girl with long wavy blonde hair was following behind them, her hands stuffed in her baggy black jeans. She stared at the ground as she kept walking, closely watching the ants scurrying under her feet.

"Don't fall behind now, okay Mary?" Freed said, turning his head towards the young girl.

"I can take care of myself, Freed," she said softly. "I wanted to go on this job alone anyway. You guys didn't need to come help me."

"On the contrary, we did need to aid you. We are the Thunder Legion and have been your father's personal guards for years. And now that he's had a child, that duty extends to you as well."

Evergreen nodded with folded arms. "It's just as Freed says. And besides, I'm also your auntie." She winked at her niece.

"But..."

"No buts." Bickslow waved his finger. "We're gonna protect ya, whether ya like it or not, kiddo. So you might as well like it."

Mary sighed at that. "Okay."

"Atta girl!"

Suddenly the four all clenched their noses as the stench from earlier grew stronger. Evergreen curled his lip. "Good grief, what is that atrocious smell?"

Freed looked around the area with cautious eyes. "I can't say. It's coming from up ahead though. Let's go check it out. Bickslow, you stay here with Marry."