3 -- Finally Onward -- Bailey --2018

Tomorrow is my 18th birthday and this is all going to change because nobody can stop me now. I haven't requested any cake or special ice cream this time around because I don't want to be here to eat it.

"I'm leaving and you can't stop me." I yell, slamming my hands on the wide wooden desk between us. The small brass boot full of pens rattles a warning.

"I'm not stopping you. I'm saying you need to slow down and make a plan," Clint Chisum says as he's looking past me and out his big new office window. "Bailey, you can't just walk off, there's 3 feet of snow out there and more coming down as we speak."

"I'm not dumb. Get me my money and a ride to the Greyhound in Missoula and the rest is my problem," I say with certainty.

"Where are you going?"

"Doesn't matter."

"When does that bus leave?"

"Don't know. I'll wait it out there if I have to."

"You sure you can afford that?"

"I have $377 in my account here that you owe me!"

"We don't keep cash in a desk drawer you know, so I can't just hand it to you."

"But you could tomorrow because there are banks."

"True. But is this the best plan? Just head out on your own with $400 and see what happens? You're a better thinker than that. Let's call your parents and see..."

"They don't get a say anymore. You can tell them that I'm not going to show up at their house so they don't need to worry. That's what they want to know."

"They are your parents, they're going to worry either way," Clint says, either stalling for time of just being stupid.

"They were my adopted parents and they were done with me years ago and I am done with them tomorrow."

"That's harsh, don't you think?"

"That's real, don't you know?" I say with mocking anger. "I haven't seen them in 4 years. Their choice. I'm not going to ever see them again. My choice." I feel my face get hot, my hands make themselves into tight fists.

"Well you're right that we're not going to try and hold you here after tomorrow but I would offer that you can stay a week or two and make better plans and we can help work out something for you."

"I have a plan and I can do it on my own with my money and a ride to Missoula from anyone. Starting tomorrow nobody here can tell me when to go to my room or to turn off the tv or when I'm allowed to come up to get a food tray and you sure as hell can't restrain me or put me in the reflection room without calling the police first. You gotta know that I'll find some lawyer on the outside and offer him ½ of everything we can get from suing this place for even trying to handle a me like that"

Clint does his worried smile and sits back, putting more space between us. "I'm not trying to fight this out with you. Staff will get you to the station first thing in the morning. I'll get your money and have it here for you as well, with a receipt you'll need to sign. I'm also going to get you a basic cell phone with ranch money and I'll make sure it has the main numbers in it so you have someplace to call if you need to."

I was all pumped for the fight but Clints agreement deflates me. "Thanks. Thank you. I'm sorry, I'm not trying to be such a douche about this but ..."