Chapter 1: Truths and Surprises

Back in November...

"Get up you worthless bitch," what a great way to wake up. Then again, I've been so used to hearing stuff like this that it doesn't even matter anymore.

I opened my eyes to see my dad standing at the end of my bed scowling at me. I glanced at the clock next to my bed. 7 AM.

A new record for him to be pissy with me.

He gave me another glare. "If you don't get your ass up, you're going to be late and I'm sure as hell not going to drive you to school." And with that he stomped off.

Rolling of my bed, I went to the bathroom to take a quick shower. As soon as I got out, I quickly dried my hair and changed into different clothes for school.

When I got downstairs, I found my dad sitting at the kitchen table alone, with a bottle or beer in one hand. Not wanting to deal with him and another day of him being drunk, I rushed out of my house and went over to my best friend Craig's house.

Craig opened the door after one knock. He looked at me with a smirk on his face.

"I was wondering what was taking you so long," he said.

"Aren't you the comedian?" I muttered as I walked in.

"Morning Elena!" said Craig's mom and pulled me in for a loving hug. She was such a sweetheart.

"Morning Rachel," I replied in a not so happy mood. She frowned and looked at me.

"Is it your dad again? You're welcome to stay here for the night like always," she said tentatively.

I smiled at her, she knew what the situations were like with my dad at home and she always was there to help me out. "Thank you," I said.

"No need for thanks, now you and Craig get to the kitchen fast for breakfast before you're late," she said and walked off.

"Yes food," Craig said from behind me. I turned around to face him. "You always want food fatass," I told him.

He grinned. "Did you expect anything less from me?"

"You're looking nicely dressed today," I pointed out. Craig had a cute face with brown hair and blue green eyes and big glasses to give off a 'geeky' look. To match it up with the face he was wearing a plaid shirt with a cardigan, skinny jeans, and a pair of Toms. "I try," he replied modestly.

Then I glanced back to the kitchen. His mom was busy setting up the dishes. I moved closer to Craig and lowered my voice.

"Did you tell her yet?" I asked him quietly.

His adorable laughing face then changed to a face of worry. "I'm worried that she won't accept me," he whispered nervously.

"You'll never know unless you try," I shot back at him.

"Okay okay, I promise I'll tell her after school," he said putting his hands in the air.

"I'll be holding you to that promise Craig," I said and I walked to the kitchen to eat breakfast. After we ate, Craig and I set off for school in Craig's car.

The ride was silent until I suggested for Craig to put on the radio, which he did enthusiastically.

"And now here's The Wanted with their brand new single I Found You," the jockey said and the song started playing. I looked at Craig and we both grinned. We both loved The Wanted and this was a great way to make the morning better. From the top of our lungs, we started singing along.

After the song was over, he turned off the radio and glanced at me with a smile. "It's someone's birthday in two weeks," he said.

"It is in fact someone's birthday in two weeks," I replied. It was going to be my birthday in two weeks but since I've had shit birthdays before, I wasn't all that excited.