4

It's Monday morning. I have a busy week ahead of me. Balancing work and figuring out how to go about this home invasion issue.

Freshening up took no time. I blow dried my hair after showering. I didn't like to comb it much; that would only result in excessive shedding.

I grab the half empty carton of milk from the fridge, fix up a bowl of Cheerios, and go straight for the living room.

As soon as I sit down, my phone buzzes. "Call in pills," flashes on the screen.

It almost slipped my mind a third time. After continuously scrolling through my contacts, I finally find the word Pharmacy.

I was instantly directed to the pre-recorded voice menu. The voice went through a sequence of options and numbers to dial. "To fill or refill a prescription, press 4."

After pressing the button, I listen for what the voice would say next. "Transferring you to an assistant."

While the atrocious elevator music played in my left ear, I prepare myself to speak to the stranger that would be on the other end of the phone. My heart rate increases just before he answers.

"Hello, what can I help you with?" He has a smooth, deep voice.

"I- I would like to get a refill." The man asks for my name. "Cassandra Elwood." I hear typing through the phone.

"Could you verify your address?"

I recite "3402 Townsend Street." A few more pecks on the keyboard.

"Hm, that's weird."

"Buspirone?" He asks.

"Yes."

More typing and pauses. "I'm sorry ma'am, the system is not letting me process the order."

"Um, why not?"

There's a voice in the background saying something. It's hard to make out. The voice stops before the man begins talking again. "I'm not sure why this is happening."

"Why what is happening? My heart is beginning to race again.

"We are normally able to refill prescriptions easily. Something may be wrong with the computer."

I sit patiently, trying to calm myself down. If I didn't have my pills, who knows what could go wrong?

"Okay ma'am, maybe if you call back another time, we'll have fixed this issue."

I let out a deep breath. "Okay." The man apologizes for the inconvenience and hangs up.

I'm not sure what to do right now. The warning label strictly says, "Do not suddenly stop use." My eyes are watering. "No." I fan myself. "It'll be okay."

To distract myself, I open up the text messages between me and Leah and send her the link to the security system website from last night.

"I thought you should see this," I type. All I have to do now was wait for a response.

My shift ended a little early tonight. The whole time I was there, I couldn't help but think about the pharmacy issue.

I struggle to open the door when getting back home. My hands are filled with bags from the grocery store. At least I was finally being responsible, making sure all my priorities were taken care of. Except for the medicine, that is.

Placing the bags down, I feel a vibration in my back pocket.

It's a text from Leah, sent two minutes ago. I narrow my eyes.

"What did you send me? I don't see anything."

I reply with, "It's a link...you can't see it?" A few moments pass before Leah texts back. The phone buzzes in my hand. "No. There's nothing there."

That doesn't make any sense. Why are things not making sense?