13

POWERING OFF
——-
There isn't anywhere to hide. My bedroom isn't safe anymore. That sound, that horrible sound. Not only does it resonate through the house, but it also resonates through my mind.

That voice. She, it, taunts me. It knows that it's the cause of my suffering.

That is my recurring nightmare. I wake up in a cold sweat each time before I can escape. The dreams have been happening ever since the 'incident.'

My parents suggest that I see another therapist, specifically for my dream interpretations. He or she would just tell me it's post-traumatic stress disorder.

The dreams will stop soon. My medicine will help things return to normal.

As Christmas rolls around, actual Christmas, not the one I was hallucinating, I decide to put on some Frank Sinatra to lighten my spirit. My very anxious spirit.

The lights on the tree across from me are comforting. I'm supposed to help Leah decorate the tree when she gets home from work today. It might help us forget about the little argument we had last week.

Leah and I have started bumping heads a lot around the house. I think she's getting tired of me living with her.

Sometimes, when the nightmares get too bad, I wake up screaming. Leah gets out of bed and runs into my room to check on me.

When she leaves for work, I'm constantly texting her so I won't feel so alone inside the house. It's slightly bigger than mine.

I'm sorry Leah. Just wait a little longer. I've almost saved up enough to get a small apartment close to my parents. They've done so much for me.

Audrey talked about some kind of holiday party she wanted all three of us to go to on the 23rd.

I'm not sure if I'm in the right mental state to socialize with others. At least not while the night terrors are still going on. They make it almost impossible for me to stay awake during the day.

***

Leah eventually comes home around four o'clock. We sit and talk more about my hallucination from last month.

I tell her how real it felt. The whole thing, I could've sworn she was really there with me. Leah's not freaked out about this, she says she just wishes she could've gotten to me sooner before any of it could happen.

In the midst of our conversation, I realize that I'm running out of my prescription. At the same time, Leah sees that she needs more lights to go on the tree.

We decide to pick some up at my pharmacy.

While Leah grabs another box of gold Christmas tree lights, I walk over to the counter to ask for a refill on my prescription. There are two people in front of me in line.

To blend in with everyone else and draw less attention to myself, I pull out my phone and start scrolling through random apps.

After the two people finally leave, I rest my arms on the counter, waiting for the man behind it to turn around. The moment our eyes meet, my stomach sinks to my feet.

It's him! The technician who installed my security system. His lips curl into a devilish grin. "Hi, Cassie."

My legs turn into jelly. I stumble onto the floor, with my heart beating out of my chest.

Lifting myself up, I immediately run all the way to Leah's car parked in front of the store. I'm hyperventilating.

A few seconds later, Leah rushes outside to find me crying in the passenger's seat. "Cassie, what's wrong?"