Chapter Ten

Grace staggered toward the door, unable to glance back at Katherine, who was being shoved harshly to the chipped concrete by two guards, one of which had a gun jabbing into her temple. She forced herself to keep moving, slamming her body against the door before she could persuade her enervated legs to slow herself down.

The metal door handle was cold against Graces hand and a heavy layer of rust rubbed onto her fingers, staining them a faded shade of red. She yanked the unyielding door open before slipping through and slamming it shut, locking it with the iron padlock that was hanging on the wall.

The hallway ahead was dimly lit by yellow tinted, broken bulbs that flickered ominously in the ceiling. Dozens of doors were lining the claustraphobic corridor, but only one had been left slightly ajar which allowed an artifical light to disrupt the darkness that engulfed her.

Peering into the room, she squinted against the radiant line and once her vision cleared she immediately noticed Jace spinning in an office chair. It creeked whenever he bounced or repositioned himself, and the cushion had been compressed and ripped. However, he barely seemed bothered.

A large screen overlayed the majority of the posterior wall and plastic chairs surrounded two foldable tables that had been pushed up against each other in the heart of the room. The setup appeared to be decrepit, but it didn't seem to have been used recently due to the thin layer of dust that had accumulated on the superiority of flat surfaces. Grace walked in timidly, stopping at the head of the table once she noticed Emili conversing with a young man who didn't look much older than Jackson. They were speaking in hushed tones, occasionally glancing at Jace to ensure he was distracted from their discussion.

Emili turned slightly and upon noticing Grace, an ingenious smile replaced her serious expression. It vanished quickly once she noticed Katherine's absence. An implacable, serious expression clouded her facial features and her wrinkles suddenly became more defined. Grace began to wonder if there had even been a smile. Her hands clasped together nervously and she whispered harshly, "Where is she?" Grace attempted to appear composed, but her lips began to quiver and her breathing began to quicken its pace. Her emotions had betrayed her and her voice cracked as she muttered, "I couldn't save her. I'm so sorry."

Emili suddenly stiffened, inhaling a sharp breath before turning toward the screen and tapping it lightly with a trembling, boney hand. A map filled the screen and Grace was immediately faced with a complex view of the state. Large cities filled the central area while rural communities stretched outward toward the coast, becoming more sparse the further they wandered from the capital. Throughout the large patches of forests, red dots sprinkled the screen. Emili began analyzing the graph distractedly, abandoning Grace in an uncomfortable silence.

"My name's Mason. You're Grace, right?" The young man smiled awkwardly, breaking the fatigued silence. Mason took her hand, shaking it firmly before shoving his hands back into his woolen sweaters pockets. Alsiah must have made it for him, since Grace had one so similar. The stitching appeared to be almost identical.

She nodded cautiously, unsure of how to reply, before examining the screen again. "Those show where the primary safe houses are located," He cleared his throat, pointing at one of the dots that was situated at the edge of a large patch of trees. "That one was yours."
        "Where am I?" Grace asked quietly, gently touching the small speck on the screen.

Emili's shoulders were shaking slightly and Grace tore her eyes away from her, unable to watch the elderly woman unravel. "A safe place," Masons smile was kind, despite the fact that it barely reached his eyes, which were swollen from weeks of exhaustion. A thin beard had started to grow and the smell of fresh coffee lingered around him, the heat was still radiating from his breath.