Chapter Nine: Paul Where Are You?

"Let's go, the water was chilly." I said avoiding his gaze. I didn't know anything about him yet it was like we were soulmates, like he was my left and I was his right and vice versa.

"Get in the car." His voice was harsh but what else could I expect. My phone started ringing. Distraction.

"Yes dad?" I answered as Hardin pulled out of the bushy area we were in.

"Rye come home now, it is a family emergency." His voice was very serious. I looked at my phone and noticed he had called through my emergency number. All of us had one so we would know when a phone call was important. Even though some of us used it to prank others.

"Dad what happened?" I wasn't usually scared but I had mixed feelings today. Possible heartbreak, fear and happiness.

"Just come home, now Rye." He said and the line went dead. Hardin must have noticed the look of horror on my face cause' he sped up the car. In ten minutes I was home.

"Thank you." I managed to say.

I entered the building, everyone was here. By everyone I meant my family and Safra's, except Paul was not there.

"Where is Paul?" I asked turning everyone's attention to me. "I said where is Paul?" I repeated harsher than I planned.

"Todd Barilla took him. He's the business we moved here to handle because back in Canada, Todd and I made a deal. He suggested we sign a deal together, but at the last minute he stole the profit and disappeared. Until he was tracked down here by our men. Now his sole aim is to destroy us and he is using your brother to ask ransom of 100 million USD from us." My dad said. Barilla rang a bell but I pushed it to the back of my mind.

"But Paul is a really good fighter, he could have defended himself." I said.

"He wasn't cautious; he went out drinking." Typical Paul.

"Have you found out his location yet?" I asked.

"Not yet sweetie, but we'll get news tomorrow at noon." My mum replied shakily. She was strong but she was still a mother whose child was at risk.

"So I have to wait till after school to find out about my brother's wellbeing? "

"Correction we have to." I heard Safra say. I completely forgot Safra was there, I ran to hug her.

"Rye just go to your room and rest yet, we'll let you know when there is news alright?" Damien said to me.

"Fine." I said and went upstairs with Safra.

I burst to tears, the emotions were too much to carry. It will be so awkward to see Hardin tomorrow or......... won't it.

"I know you are not crying about Paul. What happened with Hardin?" Safra asked plopping onto my bedside.

"I've never liked anyone before because I thought I knew how it felt. Damien fell in love and at the end the person backstabbed. He was distraught for weeks. Now suddenly Hardin comes and as much as I don't feel safe about him, I also feel so much safer around him." I said lying flat on the bed and face palming myself.

"I won't tell you anything now but wait till tomorrow and I'll see what I can do." She said joining me and soon we drifted off.