01|| the new girl

the smell of thick oil filled elle's lungs as she patiently waited for the hogwarts express- the train couldn't come any sooner, not like she wanted it to anyway.

it was a funny feeling, to say at the very least, that bubbled at the pit of her stomach when she finally looked around the platform, taking in the view of the swarm of children surrounding her. they all looked terribly excited to go back to school.

elle hated school. at least, her old school.
of course, mrs hex (the headmistress) had to be her mother. and of course, assuming people read her surname correctly, they'd also come to the realisation that elle is a part of the original hex family, her ancestor being the first wizard to exist- edward hex. not only does the name bring her fame, it also brings great expectation that elle must be a talented and powerful witch. why wouldn't she be? her father is only the ceo of the universal ministry of magic, her mother only the headmistress of the most elite magic school in switzerland and her older brother being the minister of magic in london.

there was just a teeny, tiny, minuscule problem with that... elle was powerless. a non magic. a 'muggle' if you must. yet, her extremely pushy father forced her to attend school and to learn every detail of magic she could in the hopes that one day, her understanding of magic would be of great use.

to elle, however, it was a constant reminder that she was nothing like her greatest grandfather, edward, and that she had pretty much failed at step one of becoming a powerful asset to the wizarding world: being a witch.

the bullying became too much at her old school, many of the girls performed brutal and traumatic spells and hexes upon elle, despite her disadvantage. to put it into perspective, 'teachers pet' was handwritten and branded into her forearm after the potions teacher graded elle the highest in the entire year group.

"how can a muggle earn such great grades?" rainy roberts, the bitchiest girl to exist at elle's old school, not so quietly whispered during lunch, the same day she earned an a+ in a dark arts exam.

chills shot up elle's spine as she prayed to the good heavens that she would never be bullied for her lack of ability again, especially at hogwarts. although, her father did promise that dumbledore were to protect her in any case against cruelty or childish torment. after all, dumbledore and andrew have their friendly connections. in fact, dumbledore even attended her mother and father's wedding ceremony.

"excuse me, young lady," an oddly soft yet sophisticated voice had said.

elle turned to her left, snapping out of her anxious thoughts, and lay eyes upon a rather pretty middle aged woman. her hair was that of an ashy brown on the top, down the sides and the back consisted of a cold blonde, a platinum blonde.

she must be a mother of one of the students? elle thought to herself whilst smiling politely. "yes?"

"are you boarding the train or not?" the lady asked, extending her arm in a pointing motion toward the train. it was full of students and moments away from beginning its journey.

elle must have zoned out completely, she didn't even notice the train had even arrived, or the silent empty platform in which she currently, so awkwardly, stood on. "my goodness, i am so sorry! yes, i am boarding the train. thank you for alerting me mrs..?"

"malfoy. mrs narcissa malfoy," the woman said whilst fidgeting in her coat pocket. "you wouldn't mind giving this to my son, would you? surely you'd know him. draco?"

elle shook her head, her eyebrow rose in a confused manner.

"draco malfoy? tall, platinum blonde hair, he is in slytherin if that helps?" she smiled whilst passing elle a handwritten letter, addressed to this mystery boy.