Chapter 2

Perdita let out a long sigh, staring at the wall. 

"Oh stop moping," Cato mumbled through the hairbrush, "It's just a bit of juice. It'll wash out." 

"I'm gonna hit that kid next time I see him," Perdita growled, "Little brat probably thinks it's funny to ruin my hair."

"You will do no such thing, young lady," Ari said scronfully, "He's just a child. It wouldn't be fair for you to try to fight him. I've already spoken to his mother, and she will see to it that's he's reasonably punished."

Cato took the brush from his teeth to work through a clump of sticky, damp hair, "He's right, you know. Besides, one day you'll both be grown up, and more mature, and then you can beat him to a pulp on fair grounds." 

Perdita giggled, thankful that at least one of her friends understood her desire for petty revenge. But she knew that this is Cato's way of reminding her that she was young as well, and that she would one day realise that it wasn't worth it to pick a fight over something so silly. 

"How long until the ceremony?" Se asked slowly, glancing at Ari. He was leaning against the corner of the house, watching the people go past. He was dressed in fairly casual clothing, dispite the festivities around him, and Perdita couldn't help but notice that his knife was still on his belt. He had, however, tidied his mane of hair for the day, letting it hang around his shoulders, thankfully having given up on the poor attempt at a ponytail. 

"Not long now, I don't think. Half an hour, maybe?" He replied, not turning to look at her. 

Perdita stiffened, and felt like her heart was about to implode, "That soon?"

Cato finished tieing her hair back and leaned over her shoulder, "Relax," He whispered, "You've got nothing to be scared of. Have you chosen your mentor?" 

"Y-yes..." Perdita hesitated, "I'm just not sure if he'll want to do it... He doesn't seem like he wants to be a mentor, even though I think he'd be really good..." 

Cato made a thoughtful noise, "It's too bad you can't ask them beforehand... But I guess rules are rules... I think, whoever it is, they'll be more than happy to mentor you. You have a lot of potential, and a lot of spirit. You'll be a great dragon one day."

Perdita turned her head to smile at him, "Thanks, Cato."

Ari finally looked at them, with warm eyes, "You look beautiful like that."

Perdita stared at her shoes, trying to hide the smile playing on her lips. She was wearing a new dress, made specially for her birthday. It was light blue, and longer than the one she usually wore, tied back with a pink bow around her waist. Thanks to the juice, she had been forced to abandon the usual pigtails in favour of her hair hanging loose down her back, pulled back gently from her face my one of Cato's skilful braids. 

Ari suddenly turned his head to the crowd outside the ally, "I think it's time." 

Perdita froze, suddenly aware that she would have to stand infront of the whole town, and name her chosen mentor. The anxiety had been gorwing all day, but it seemed like now its icy claws suddenly managed to catch her chest, making her breath faulter and a chill run down her spine. 

Cato squeezed her shoulders slightly, before turning away and following Ari into the crowd. She rushed after them, suddenly afraid to be alone as some sort of ancient fear instinct took over. It wasn't like when she encountered the humans, where she had cried under the strain of trying to keep her composure. This was less imediate, and more pressing. She felt the urge to run, leave the town behind and never show her face again. What would they think of her after she chose him? What if he rejected her? Should she change her mind? There was a whole town of candidates...

Before she knew what was happening, the brothers had led her to the steps of the elder's house in the centre of town. As she turned to look at them, they had already left, slipping through the growd to the back. With no choice, she climbed the stairs and turned to face her people. 

She could see the elders gathering at the front, closest to her. She had to admit that she was grateful for them to have raised her for so long, but none of them suited her for mentor. Her eyes rested on one woman, Jannet. She was one of the younger elders, which wasn't saying much, with particularly dark skin. As with all the elders, the red of her hair had long since faded, replaced by the smooth, inky black, similar to Cato, that marked a magic-deficient dragon. Jannet caught her eye, and smiled warmly. She was a kind woman, and the closest Perdita had ever had to a mother, but even she could recognise that she was too kind, and gentle. If Perdita didn't want to do something Jannet rarely pushed her; she was far too emotional, and couldn't bare to see her child upset. Perdita smiled weakly at her, before looking away. Perhaps she could pick someone with stronger magical abilities, to match her own. Perdita was aware that he hair was some of the brightest in the village, and had overheard the elders once discussing her potential, if she were under a good mentor.

In search of this, her eyes rested on a man, only a few years older than Ari, with bright red, fiery hair. He wasn't quite as tall as Cato, and not as bulky at Ari, but managed to find a comfortable middle ground, creating a rather attracive looking young man. But Perdita recognised the arrogance in his eyes. He had been a bully to Cato and Ari their whole childhoods, and had even mocked Perdita, being the one she first learned the word 'orphan' from. She knew that she wouldn't get along with him, and he would only cause frustration and stagnation in her training.

Perdita was suddenly aware of all of the eyes watching her, and knew that she was taking too long. They all wanted her to start. 

"Hello," She squeaked, "I... I wanted to thank you all for this celebration. You all put in so much hard work, and it's really paid off. Everything is so pretty, and the food has been delicious! Especially the juice, which I'll admit most of you didn't get to try, since half of it ended up in my hair..." She gave an awkward smile, and she saw the crowd agree in humour. In the corner of her eye, she saw the little boy attempting to slink away, before his father dragged him back into the crowd. 

"Well, I guess you all want to know who I've chosen to be my mentor," She continued, trying to not look at anyone, in the case she gave them false hope. Instead, she turned her eyes to the fountain behind them. It towered over the village, the rushing water a constant sound that you barley heard. "The person I have chosen... I'll admit, I needed a bit of help with this, but a good friend of mine just told me to think about what I want and need most out of a mentor. I decided that I need someone kind, who knows how I learn, and someone who won't let me get away with my antics. I know I can be childish, and I promise I'm working on it, but I need someone to help me with that. So, the person I have chosen..." She took a deep breath, aware that she was stalling. Eventually her eyes rested on Cato in the back, and the signaled for her to breath, his face warm and encouraging. She smiled, suddenly more confident in he choice. 

"You may not know him the way I do," She began, aware that the women of the crowd had deflated slightly, "But to me he is kind, and strong, in his own way. He never lets anything that anyone says get to him, and he's content to do things his own way. He's creative, always finding alternative solutions. But most importantly, he can push me in the right direction. He makes me feel safe, and makes me want to learn. I know that most of you will question my choice, because you only know him as shy, and reserved, and maybe not worth your time," Her eyes rested, involunteraly, on Cato's mother. She was a defensive, snarky woman, with an opinion on everything. She loved her sons, but never thought that Cato was worth training, and so when he chose her, she refused and he was forced to pair with an elder. Perdita took a deep breath, suddenly filled with a strange confidence. What did she care if no one else wanted him? She saw how much he did, and she wanted to learn from him more than anyone else. Finally, she locked eyes with him, and he flinched from their sudden intensity, as though dreading what she was about to say.

"I have chosen Cato, to be my mentor."