Chapter 3

"I have chosen Cato to be my mentor."

For a moment Perdita wondered if she had even spoken out loud, as the whole world seemed to hesitate. Then she saw the colour drain from Cato's already pale face, his eyes wide in disbelief. The crowd suddenly turned, almost in unison, to stare at him. And then the arguing started. 

"Cato? Cato can't be a mentor! You have to be able to use magic to teach it."

"She's kidding, right?"

"He's barely finished his own training! No one can expect him to teach already!" 

"Cato! You aren't seriously going accept that, are you?"

Perdita and Cato kept their eyes locked, as the village argues about how unqualified he was to teach. She saw fear in his eyes, and he seem to silently question if this was all just some sick joke. But it wasn't. 

She smiled at him, and nodded for him to come. 

Cato suddenly broke from her stare, and glanced for Ari, who seemed just as baffled. He rested his hand on his little brother's shoulder, and whispered something in his ear, before Cato finally began walking towards the stage. 

No one moved to stop him, or challenge Perdita. In fact, the whole town went silent. Even the birds in the trees seemed to know that something had happened. The only sound was the rushing of the massive fountain, suddenly filling everyone's ears until it was all they could hear. 

Never before had the whole town been so completely, and utterly, silent. 

Cato stepped up beside her, his eyes filled with uncertainty. "Are you sure about this?" He whispered, aware that everyone was listening. 

"Completely," Perdita said defiantly, "You've already helped me so much, for years. I believe in you."

Cato smiled warmly, holding his left hand out, palm up, to the shocked gasps of the town. Perdita mirrored, holding her hand above his, palm down. 

"I, Perdita, orphan of the forest dragons, nominate Cato to be my teacher, guide and guardian, until the eve of my seventeenth birthday. I hereby pledge that, in this moment, I hold complete trust and loyalty to you, and will follow your instructions unquestioningly." 

She saw Cato's fingers curl slightly in hesitation, before he spoke, his voice trembling ever so slightly as he continued to search her face for any indication of uncertainly. 

"I, Cato of the forest dragons, son of Celia and Daichi, brother of Ari, humbly accept the nomination as teacher, guide and guardian to Perdita, until the eve of her seventeenth birthday. I hereby pledge that, from this moment, I will strive to maintain your trust and loyalty, and will lead you wisely."

Perdita beamed at him, bringing her hand down to his, sealing the contract. 

Cato let out a shivering breath, hardly understanding what he had just agreed to be. If a dragon were to choose a mentor who was not their parent, their mentor would replace them. Legally and emotionally, the mentor and youth were expected to create a parent/child dynamic. Strictly speaking, Cato had just become Perdita's father. 

He stared at her as she turned away to face the elders, who had suddenly changed their scornful tune as they welcomed her in and wished her well through her training. It felt like the whole world melted away, until it was just him and Perdita. He knew that there was a significant age gap between them, just shy of a decade, but in the context of a dragon's full lifespan that was nothing. Neither of them could yet understand how long they had before them, even though Cato had already noticed that his and Ari's aging was slowing. How could he be a parent when he, himself, was still a child at times? An older dragon, reaching their second or third century would have been a much better fit for a mentor, but he couldn't back out now. He had agreed, and there was nothing he could do about it for the next four years. 

As he forced his feet to move, climbing down the steps, Ari pushed his way through the crowd to meet him. He didn't say a word, but his expression said it all. Cato answered silently, his eyes confused and distant. 

Finally, Ari smiled taking Cato's shoulders and encouraging him to stand taller. 

"Dad would be so proud," He said firmly, "Despite everything, and everyone always telling you you can't, you not only survived, you made it through your training and are now a mentor! You should be proud!"

Cato forced a weak smile, before noticing his mother, Celia, standing a short way off, her arms folded and her face screwed up in a mixture of disappointment and frustration. 

"I suppose I should say I'm proud," She said in a thin voice, "You've managed to overshadow your brother yet again, all because you simply can't take a hint, even when the universe smacks you over the head with it." Cato and Ari both turned to glare at her; Ari, surprisingly, looking more hurt than Cato. But she cut them off before they could say anything, "Good luck with this. I look forward to seeing you come crawling to the elders, when you realize that some dragons simply aren't cut out for this."

The two brothers stared after her for a long moment, even after she had vanished in the crowd gathered around Perdita. 

"I didn't mean to become a mentor before you-" Cato began weakly, turning his eyes to the grass. But Ari cut him off. 

"Don't be stupid," He snapped, "I never even wanted to be a mentor. She's just sour that you haven't died already." It seemed to take him a moment to realize what he'd said, because there was a pause, long enough for Cato to stare at him in bewilderment, before he spoke again. "I mean - you know," He stammered quickly, "She was so sure that you were too sick to live, let alone do anything, and you know how she hates to be wrong! You just keep defying her, and anyone doing that, let alone her own son, is the biggest insult to her."

Cato sighed, smiling to indicate that he understood, but couldn't shake how she had managed to insult Ari in the process. Did she really think that his pride was so fragile that his younger brother achieving anything at all was 'overshadowing'?

By now Perdita had found her way back to them, her feet barely able to stay still and her face covered with a broad grin. Cato could tell that she'd been debating this choice for some time, as her behaviour towards him had become much more reserved since their venture outside the village walls, but now was back to usual. 

"So, now what, Mentor?" She asked excitedly, pressing the last word.

Cato, with great effort, managed to stop himself from hesitating, "For today, we just enjoy the festivities. Go play with the other children, and be sure to talk to the elders. You won't be living with them anymore, so let them know that you appreciate what they've done for you."

Perdita nodded, slightly disappointed that she wouldn't start her training immediately, but glad to have more time for her birthday. As she darted away, Ari and Cato left the crowd, stowing away in a corner between two houses so that they could begin to process what had just transpired.