A Bakers Dozen

"What was that sound?" I panicked, all I could hear was a shrieking monstrous high pitch tone, it sounded like the ring in your ears after you get the wind knocked out of you.

I wasn't home anymore- I was in an alley. Two dark figures came crawling towards me, lurking against the old brick walls dimly lit by street lamps.

"Stay away!" My hands scraped along the damp, muddy concrete as my feet stumbled to push me away.

My head was pounding and I was dehydrated, I could barely scream for help. The tortured figures were closing on me, tears were trying to escape my puffy eyes as I let out whatever yelp of helplessness I could croak out. Very slowly the slender fingers traced along the wall, as if trying to mock my helplessness. One at a time their nails rooted into my legs, piercing my veins with excruciating might. Suddenly they just vanished- the black silhouettes disappeared as well as the pain that waved over my body, and then it all stopped.

Blackness took over and I felt lifeless, the fear and anxiety... just gone. I awoke again. I lay on my back as the cool rain drops fell to my pale bruised skin, wondering if anyone is worried about sad little me. Foot steps chafed along the sidewalk outside of the alleyway, giggles and smiles gazed in by every couple passing by. Although I couldn't move, I could feel a lonely vehemence. My gaze drifted into a blur as I stare at the wet ground. Abruptly a shadow was blocking the light reflecting the puddles of wet mud.

"Hey... are you okay ma'am?" A soft worried tone caught me off guard.

A hand brushed my damp long hair that clung to my neck, I could only guess as to check my pulse. The warm finger tips trailing my face turned my vision to them, I let out a groan. Sitting in that position had made my neck sore.

"Yeah, you're alive... we have to get you help." The caring voice of the silhouette spoke.

My heart started to race, I can't go to the hospital my parents will kill me. The stranger kneeled beside me, sitting my weightless broken body against the cold wall. I tried moving my fingers but there was nothing. I was able to gyrate my foot. I could differentiate the button patterns, he was calling 911.

At this point I had to regain myself, I can't let my parents know.

With every agitating movement my vessel made I was able to let out a groggy moan, "No," I told him.

His voice was quick and I could hear fear, I was curious as to how I looked. My blue velvet perception met with his rich soil eyes.They were as dark as the night, full of panic, and glistening in rue. All I could fathom was how someone dressed so hip could even offer concern to someone like me, a pale imitation of life dressed in rags.

The phone call ended, "You'll be okay I promise." He wiped my soaking hair strands off my face.

I couldn't help but sob at the tragedy my life was, lonely and beaten dry to the core.

Tearful, I told the boy "Why did you call for help? I am fine..." I trailed off choking back sorrow.

The boy looked at me in benevolence, the silence was deafening. "What is your name?"

He looked me straight in the eyes. A soft blonde curl dragged along my cheek like a child in his mothers arms.

"My name is Summer."

"What a beautiful name, my name is Anthony."

Police lights were blinding as they strobed across the wet bricks, Anthony waved the man over and my heart gave up. The police man inspected the situation but I insisted I was fine and just needed a ride home. Anthony came along with me. As we reached my house he walked me to my door, I invited him in. All the lights were on. "Anthony... what time is it?"

"2 AM, Summer." I nodded in sadness.

3 knocks and my mother reached the door.

"Summer, what happened?!" Her voice shrieked in fear, flashbacks of the dark figures appeared and I winced at the thought.

"I... woke up in an alley and this young man found me, his name is Anthony"

Mother looked past me, as I smiled to introduce him I realized he was no longer there. Maybe he had to leave, after all it was two AM.

My father peered in as he turned my mom away to speak to her, I became faint and latched to the door frame for support. Their voices raised like high frequency, "it's not her fault she's schizophrenic. She can't help wandering off and making up such stories, she doesn't know what's real and what's not" I heard mother scold him once again. Glancing up dizzily, the blackness submerged and the figures took over, I was now numb to the world around me yet again.