Chapter 1

"I never do get tired of this," my mother exclaims, almost gleefully.

"Stop it with the excitement Dorothy, or our poor daughter may come to believe that you're happy for her to leave," my father pipes in, and I laugh.

The three of us are stood between platforms 9 and 10 at King's Cross Station, staring at a seemingly ordinary brick wall. Any normal muggle would find it an odd place to stand, and suffice it to say, our family has attracted more than a few stares. But to me, and to my parents, here lies a gateway to the wizarding world, and more prudently, the train which will take me to Hogwarts.

"Mother, must we really do this every time? Let me guess, next you'll ask me if it hurts, and then ask if want to bring a helmet next year. Honestly!"

I fake being indignant - I've actually come to cherish my parents' awe and fascination with my other life, and with magic in general. God knows I was the same, 6 years ago.

I can't believe it will be my 6th year at Hogwarts. When I had received the rather posh looking letter in the mail at 11 years old, I had truthfully taken it as a joke. But when I'd taken it to show my father, his face had immediately revealed otherwise. Because while both of my parents are muggles, my father's younger brother was a wizard too, and had received the same letter at my age, when my father had been 14.

Since then, it had been a tightlipped family secret of his, so much so that he hadn't told my mother about any of it - that is until I received my own letter.

Suffice it to say, my mother had not been too pleased at being left out on such a gargantuan part of my father's (and his brother's) life, and things had definitely been tense in my house for a while after that.

All traces of resentment and ill ease are gone from my mother's face now, however, as she has come to love and revere the wizarding world, and my place within it.

I come back to the present as my father rests his hand on my shoulder.

"Well, kid, till next year," he says solemnly.

"Richard! She's coming home for Christmas! Don't say such things! You are coming home for Christmas, aren't you dear?" My mother exclaims, swatting her rather large handbag at my father.

"He's kidding, mother, I'll be home for Christmas, I promise I will," I console her as my father chuckles.

"Now I really must be off," I say hurriedly, because although I love my parents, what lies beyond  this wall feels like it's slipping through my fingertips the longer I stand on the wrong side.

My mother showers me with kisses and my father gives me a big hug, and with that I all but sprint the final feet towards and through the solid stone.

With a whoosh of air, and an inexplicable change in energy, I am at platform nine and three quarters. I release the breath I hadn't realised I was holding.

The platform is positively bustling. Students run every which way, some saying goodbye to parents, chatting with friends, and lugging their baggage aboard the massive red engine in front of us. I stand and peek around the station for a bit, but I can't spot any of my friends just yet, so I gather my things and board the train alone.

I procure an empty compartment and plop down on the plush seat. The sudden silence makes me miss my friends even more intensely.

Since my first year at Hogwarts, I've had the same solid group of friends. It all started when I met Luna on my first day. I couldn't tell you what exactly drew me to her, perhaps subconsciously we both knew we were to be sorted into Ravenclaw. Or perhaps it was the fact that she seemed so unapologetically herself from the get go, and I admired her for that.

Regardless the reason, my small and mousy 11 year old self balled up the courage to say hello to her on the train, and we've been fast friends ever since. She was the one who introduced me to Neville, Harry, Ron, and Hermione, and we all got along immediately. I feel so lucky to have such brave, outgoing, and intelligent people to call my best friends, and I definitely sometimes feel inferior to them. I've always been one to be quiet and stick to my studies, and I fall under a lot of people's radar. But my friends always try to push me out of my comfort zone, and I'm always grateful when they do.

Alone except for my thoughts, I crack open my book, and begin reading as the train pulls out from the station.

*****

I'm startled out of my nose-in-book stupor as the train compartment door slams open.

"BANE!"

I am suddenly enveloped in a giant hug, and I realise that Ron and the rest have found me.

Ron pulls away and laughs as I pretend to check for bruises.

I turn my face slightly and hope to god he can't see my blushing. I've always had a little crush on Ron, but have never been bold enough to act on it. And regardless, I know for a fact it wouldn't be reciprocated.

"Marianna, I've missed you so much, I can't believe we haven't seen you all summer," Hermione exclaims, plopping down on the seat beside me. Ron takes the other side, and Harry, Neville, and Luna take the seat opposite me.

"I know, I know, you idiots can't even imagine how must I've missed you," I reply, almost emotional looking at them all, "How was summer?"

Everyone begins talking over each other, and the rest of the train ride is a quick blur of catching up and sharing excitement for the upcoming school year. At some point Harry slips away, but I barely notice as everything else is so overwhelming.

*****

As we finally get to the great hall, I bid my goodbyes to my Gryffindor friends and sit at the Ravenclaw table with Luna. I'm halfway through my third helping of food when I hear Luna gasp beside me. I turn and look in the same direction, and I see Harry walk in late. I crane my head and follow him with my eyes to his seat, and make out the fresh-looking black eye he's sporting. I'm suddenly reminded of how he had slipped away earlier. Where had he gone?

I try to listen to what he's saying to Ron and Hermione, but the hall is loud and the only word I can make out is "Malfoy."

I raise my eyebrows at Luna. Malfoy. I am hardly surprised the blonde Slytherin bully had had something to do with Harry's most recent accessory. Everyone at Hogwarts knows about Harry and Draco's longstanding feud, and I have witnessed first hand some of the awful things Malfoy has done and said to my friends. I have a momentary feeling of gratitude that I have never had an interaction with the Slytherin. Being quiet and blending in do have their perks.

I glance across the hall at the Slytherin table,  and I notice Malfoy is looking more somber than usual. Funny, I would have thought he would be more smug after punching his rival in the face.

As I continue to look at him, I notice his angular features are creased in an almost worried frown.

He looks tired, and I feel a pang of something inexplicable. He really would be attractive if he just smiled more, I think to myself.

And if he wasn't a massive git! I snap out of it, almost feeling the need to pinch myself. Since when do I have nice thoughts about Malfoy? I sneak one last glance at him, and then turn back to Luna.

I'm sure I'll hear more about what happened on the train later, so for now, I just enjoy my feast.