Adrian

I woke up to another day of the same. Same old house. Same diappointed parents. Same stupid school where I had no friends. It was always the same.

"Adrian, you're going to be late!" Same nagging mother.

I groggily rolled out of bed and swam to the kitchen. I quickly scarfed down some kelp and hurried out the door without a word. Like I did every day. Off to school to face the same boring classes.

I took my usual detour to school, avoiding the heavy stream of others swimming to class and their jobs.

I didn't mind that it took me a bit longer this way. I wasn't particularly fond of being in crowds of other mermaids. Always rushing. I had my own pace that I liked to folllow.

I brushed my hand along the seaweed, lost in my thoughts. I've never been very fond of school either... Restricting I guess. I enjoyed freedom. Not being kept in a room.

besides, the things we learned were ridiculous. How to conceal yourself from humans mostly. Always in hiding, and I didn't like hiding. 

I let my mind continue to wander.

Before I knew it I had arrived. Frowning, I swam in and took my seat, already starting the day by looking out the window. I never payed much attention during class. I'd rather dream about better things like getting out of here and making something of myself. There had to be more out there. More than this. Somewhere where I asn't alone. Where I was happy.

The teacher droned on about something having to do with hiding under a boat if you were ever too close or something. Completely unimportant due to the fact that there were never boats here. I've always wanted to see one, a whole one. One that still sailed, unlike the sunken ones they have down here.

I was fascinated by human objects. How they worked. What their purposes were. They were so different from anything we had down here.

Maybe I would see a boat someday...

I continued to daydream.

Before I knew it, class was over. Once the horn was blown, I was the first one out the door. I swam quickly away from school, but not towards home. Everyday after school, I swam to my favorite spot. Somewhere where I could swim to the surface without having to worry about hiding.