Chapter 1

Hazel age 10

The poor girl had never ran so fast in her entire life. If we're being honest, she didn't run much at all. And yet, here she was, running as fast as her little legs could carry her. Heart thumping, lungs constricting, legs jelly, and arms becoming  heavier every second that passed that she had to carry the weight of her younger brother. 

"Just a little further, we're gonna make it, okay?"  She tried to say to the boy in her arms, but with the burning in her throat from both trying not to cry and not being able to breathe, it probably wasn't audible. At least that's what she tried to tell herself when the boy remained unresponsive apart from the few moans of discomfort. 

Meanwhile, Esme Cullen was in a bright mood. Dressed up fancy even though it wasn't necessary to go do her usual drop off of  "lunch" to her husband. To keep up appearances, and put on a show for the nurses that fawned over him, she liked bringing lunch to Carlisle every day while he was working. Not to mention an excuse to see him in his lab coat.  Obviously he couldn't eat it so he would sneakily wander down to the lower floors and give it to hungry patients. Nevertheless, she never missed a day. 

Greeting him with a kiss on the cheek and giggle when he cheekily grabbed her waist, the door to the waiting room burst open loudly. There stood, a rain drenched girl carrying a frail boy. 

"My brother is sick. He needs help," Hazel cried out, eyes locking on the vampire couple who immediately glanced at each other. Carlisle knew the look Esme was giving him well and gave a small nod before letting go of her. 

Cautiously walking towards the small girl, he knelt down in front of her trying to get a good look at the boy. "I'll take good care of him, I promise. But you need to let go of him so that I can help." Trying to make his voice was as gentle as his eyes, hoping to coax her to set the boy down. 

Reluctantly, Hazel looked back and forth between the doctor in front of her and her brother. Elliot was gripping her soaked shirt in his tiny hand, eyes still closed and shivering despite his burning hot temperature. She handed him over and right away the strange man moved him to a gurney where a nurse pushed him out of the room. 

"No! I have to go with him, please!" She started crying as they wheeled him behind closed doors. 

"Hey, it's okay. He's going to be okay, they just need to check on him and you can see him as soon is they're done." Esme smiled at the girl only for her to look up at her lost. "Shouldn't you be at school? Where are your parents?"

"I don't know where Bruce is and I don't go to school. Someone has to watch Elliot and Bruce can't afford and in- inter- interupterder." Carlisle and Esme looked at each other again as Hazel struggled over the word 'interpreter' before tears filled her eyes again from frustration. 

A silent conversation passed between the two vampires before Esme spoke again, "Why don't I call my daughters and see if they can bring you something warm to wear while we wait for your brother?"

Hazel age 11

"I can't do it, I can't do it!"  Hazel shouted in frustration. For the past 40 minutes, Edward had been trying to teach her music lesson at the piano. Over time she grew angrier and angrier at how bad she was at it. "There's no use when I can't hear the stupid music!"