Chapter 4

"You're doing it again aren't you?" Elliot questioned his sister. 

"Doing what?"

"Every year, 3 times a year, you get all sad and act funny. One of them is my birthday but you usually try to make up for it by doing fun stuff with me so I'm not sad about mom. The second is mom's birthday and the third I don't know. But you get all sad and don't want to talk or do anything except sleep."

 Hazel's eyes trailed over Elliot's face. He had always been a curious kid, wanting to pay attention to every bit of detail and ask questions. But she had now grown aware of how much it affected him when these things happened, and how bad she had been at hiding them. 

He continued, "Is it your period? I heard one of the nurses talking about whatever that is but she said something about moodiness and irritation. That's a check and a check for you." 

Hazel snorted, "I'm fine. Don't worry about me. Just focus on being healthy so we can get you home, okay?" She poked his side making him giggle before they cuddled up on his hospital bed. But that was a lie, she was far from fine. 

That evening after work she decided to stay at the Cullen's knowing Bruce wasn't going to be home for the rest of the week. She sat combing her hair after her shower in front of a mirror as Emmett tried to make her smile. 

"Come on Haze, cheer up. Remember that time we dressed up as everybody for a full week because you were sad? You loved that!" 

Hazel age 12

"And now, presenting the biggest member of the Cullen family, all the way from Ten I See, keep your liquor cabinet locked and the bears away, Emmett Cullen!" Hazel announced dramatically from behind the curtain that had been set up, quickly motioning for Jasper to pull it down.

"Oh." Carlisle was cringing. 

"My." Esme was smiling. 

"God." Edward hid behind a pillow. 

There stood, giant Emmett and tiny Hazel, dressed in baggy overalls and flannels. Hazel in braided pigtails and Emmett with a hat and wheat between his teeth. "Dun dun nuh nuh nuhhhh!" 

Arms spread wide and giant grins across their faces, they looked around at everyone's reaction in the room. Rosalie stood up giggling, making her way over to Hazel first where she bent down and pinched her cheeks. "Ah! You are so cute!" 

"Hey, what about me?" She just waved off her mate and looked at the small girl in front of her. 

"What is all this?" Esme asked.

"Well, we thought since there are 7 of you and 7 days of the week, we'd do a day to dress up as each of you before you were changed." 

"This is so fun, I can't wait to help dress you up. Let's go plan the others," Alice rushed her down the hall, Emmett following after. 

And so they did. The next day was for Rosalie, where Emmett wore a nice suit and Hazel wore a dramatic dress and fur coat. 

The following day was for Alice, where Hazel wore a southern style dress and hat. Emmett wore a suit with a vest and a cane. 

Next came Esme, a flapper dress and a pouty Emmett, who couldn't fit into any of the dresses Hazel tried to shove him in. 

Then Edward, Hazel wore a long overcoat atop her long skirt and tucked in blouse.

 Jasper was next, where Hazel complained about having to wear such a heavy dress and Emmett gave in. He wore the dress and Hazel dressed like a boy. The enthusiastic vampire even stole a pony for her to sit on, which in turn was a backfire because both she and Emmett began to cry and get worked up when Carlisle said they had to take it back.  

Lastly was Carlisle. They both dressed in tights and flowy shirts tucked in and funny hats, dancing around and reciting Shakespeare. 

Hazel present time 

"That was real fun Em, but I just don't think I'm in the mood to play dress up with you right now." Giving up, he left the room as Esme walked in. 

"May I?" she asked, pointing to her hair. 

Esme combed the girl's hair gently, trying not to knot it up as it tried to dry in waves. Hazel sniffled, eyes watering as she looked at Esme through the mirror. "My mom used to comb my hair."

The vampire nodded in understanding. She continued to comb, watching as Hazel grew sleepy from the soothing atmosphere, until falling asleep altogether. Esme careful moved her to the bed, tucking her in and kissing her forehead goodnight. 

Another short chapter sorry. I promise it'll get better soon  <3