Chapter Four

(Sean)

I headed out of town. Toward a brighter world. Literally. I lived in a land, according to our history books, the outside world called the Bermuda Triangle, where souls vanished and never returned.

And most of it was beautiful. Blue, cloud-filled skies, serene beaches, and thick green grass. Abundant wildflowers grew everywhere in several vibrant colors and varieties. The sun glistened off mountains that surrounded the water of the large island and the ocean waves washed upon white beach shores.

Early twentieth century buildings recreated from memory of stranded citizens lined the main street and appeared brand new even though some had stood for decades. The sidewalks were always clean – but Demora wasn't like that. It was plagued with everlasting darkness. Built to mimic a city of sin and fulfilled its purpose. Casinos stood tall. Their many lights luring the population into uninhibited fun. Promising to keep their secrets.

That was the part of Demora the visitors enjoyed. Beyond that, in a place most tourists will never know about, lies The Badlands, where I reside and it's the last place you'd want to find yourself stranded in. Criminals stroll the streets hunting their next victim and iron bars protect the glass. Vacant and vandalized buildings stand here and there. Trash lines broken and cracked sidewalks. None of it bothers me because I'm considered the scariest thing on the streets.

"Where are we heading?"

"Beau Reve."

"That's a great place to lay low for a while."

It was a good guess considering my recent activities. I'd managed to get myself into a standoff with Bolivars – and won and the night before that I beat the hell out of off duty cop. The guy had it coming. Using his badge to assault women. He was already on my shit list for what he'd done to Tina, a good friend and dancer at my club, but then he put his hands on my girl. I never think straight when it comes to the ones I love. I beat him down in the open, with lots of cameras. If it wasn't for Jessie's dark side, I'd wouldn't have gotten away... and I thought she was sweet and innocent. The woman never failed to surprise me.

"No, my friend. We got a bigger problem than that." And that's all I would say. I stared toward the horizon. Driving on automatic pilot. The dream I'd entertained recently faded faster than it had arrived.

"We're gonna check out a place called Kenton Heights."

"Isn't that a nursing home? What's there?" Matt raised a brow in confusion. He could normally read my thoughts before I'd fully formed them.

"My worst nightmare."

I caught a glimpse of Grato in the rearview mirror. His eyebrows narrowed. His lips twisted, screwed up in confusion. They both knew there was only one nightmare I referred to.

"I'm lost boss. What is this new nightmare?"

"Not new. Same one."

"That's ... not possible. You ... I thought ..." The knowledge crossed his face and it appeared as disbelieving as my own when I'd heard.

"So did I."

Grato's tan complexion paled. The man didn't fear – anything – except this – with good reason. He ran a tongue over his bottom lip. Took in a deep breath, then tapped his heart and stuck up a thumb and Matt nodded his agreement. They would be there for me. No matter what or who. As they had always been.

I didn't trust many people in my life, but I would trust my life with the Divani brothers. They'd showed up in my life eight years before – two street punks in the wrong place at the wrong time.