Chapter One

She was the definition of undefined beauty. Hair that blazed like the dying embers of a fire, eyes as blue as the deepest ocean. Men fell at her feet, willing to give their life to protect their Queen and that they did. 

The armory was always fully stocked, men patrolled the outer boarders of her castle. For the Queen knew that the rebellion, which consisted of most of her citizens, was always watching. Lurking behind every oak tree, every grocery store isle.

When I was a child my mother use to tell me stories of before the pandemic, a simpler time, but everything went down hill from there. People were scared to shake hands, give hugs, they lost the ability to show care to other. The ability to be human.

The citizens of Canada want better guidelines, rules, to keep their friends and family safe. The political system, as damaged as it was, was unable to give the people what they wanted. The shadows lining the walls became dark, the once colourful world became grey and bland. Lifeless.

From the newfound darkness appeared the Shadow Court,  group of extremely powerful individuals, but not by money or status, but by the ability to manipulate their surroundings. They had magic.

The ability to control fire, move water, bend air, crush boulders with their bare hands. Turn the most vile ingredients into deadly potions, there was a rumor that one of them had the ability to turn humans into toads, apples into horses.

They promised the citizens of Canada a brighter, better future. All they requested was the permission to reestablish the monarchy, to make their leader the Queen. The Shadow Court was voted in, the position of prime minister became a  thing of the past. 

The country began to crumble and decay. The beauty and peace that was promised was a lie. Queen Mary Anne brought with her chaos and destruction, ash and rubble stood in the wake of the crumbling cities that had stood tall.

People were more separated then they had ever been, but not by race, religion, or social class. The magic that the Shadow Court had brought with them seeped into the water and food that people consumed, the air that they were breathing in. People began to notice changes in their bodies, something strange deep within themselves. 

Mass forest fries broke loose, crazy weather patterns being followed by equally as wild storms. flying monkeys, dragons, faeries, centaurs, mermaids, witches. It was a terrifying time and Mary Anne flourished in it. She enjoyed the loathing, it gave her the happiness she lacked.

I was born November 24, 2034. I'm now 16 years old, Queen Mary Anne has been in power for 27 years and she hasn't aged a day. Speculation is she immortal, unkillable.

My name is Amina Butcher, The chosen one and I can kill the Queen