Chapter 4: Bonfire

Chapter 4

“Some friends of mine are having a little bonfire thing this evening. Want to come?” Chris asked, raising his eyebrows once we’d closed the shop. It was Friday afternoon. 

“Are they nice people?” I questioned. 

“Depends.” Chris shrugged with a laugh. 

“Yea I’ll go. But I’ll need to change.” I said, glancing down at my clothes. 

“Totally. I’ll meet you at your place.” Chris smiled. “Nick’s barbecuing so tell your aunt that you won’t be there for dinner. And don’t worry, it’s just some friends from school, nothing big.” 

“Are you sure I can be there? I mean like, I don’t really go to school with you.” I said nervously. 

“Don’t worry. They’ll love you, trust me.” Chris smiled, glancing over at me. 

I just nodded, biting my lip. 

“I hope so.” I sighed, pushing my hair back from your face. “I'll see you in like 5?” I asked. 

Chris nodded and I jogged back to the house.

I changed into some black underwear and a black bra, putting a loose pink tank top over the top and some light ripped jeans on the bottom. 

I managed to get my hair up into a bun. I didn’t bother with any makeup, it would be dark anyways. 

I found Chris on the porch, talking to my aunt. 

“Have fun.” Aunt Audrey said as I joined them. I just smiled at her, stepping into my flip flops. 

“Do I have a curfew?” I asked, stepping off of the porch with Chris. 

“If you’re with Chris, no.” Aunt Audrey shook her head. “Bye, Marley.” 

“Wait what about Mark?” I asked, turning back around. 

“If you see him, tell him the same.” My aunt told me.

“It’s just a little ways up the beach.” Chris said, heading along the shore in the opposite direction from most of the action. 

“So again, are you taking me to some secluded place to kill me?” I asked, nudging his side. 

“Darn... You caught me.” Chris teased, smiling at me.

“So I know what high school parties are like where I’m from... What are they like here?” I asked, looking up at Chris. 

“Well what are they like where you’re from?” Chris asked, his eyes meeting mine. 

“Wild.” I laughed. 

“Nah it’s just people eating hotdogs, drinking a beer, sitting around a fire, playing volleyball.” Chris told me, pointing ahead. 

I saw a big bonfire, with a barbecue a little ways away. There were 6 people there, and they all looked over as we approached. 

“Hey Chris!” Nick called from the barbecue. He was the only one I recognized. “Hey Marley.” Nick added, waving at me. 

I smiled and waved back. 

“Alright so the redhead over there is Naomi, she’s dating Nick. That’s Tommy, he’s the one who works next door. The short brunette is Amanda and the tall brunette is Haley. They’re best friends, you’ll like them. And then there’s Cole, he’s cool.” Chris explained. 

“Got it.” I nodded, following him over to a cooler. 

“Want a beer?” He asked, opening the top to reveal an array of drinks.