Chapter 18: Storm Warning

Chapter 18

"Did you and Mark catch the meteor shower last night?" Chris asked, lifting up his baseball cap to fix his hair.

"Yea yea we saw tons of shooting stars it was great." I nodded enthusiastically.

"What'd you wish for?" Chris asked, wrapping his arms around my waist as I straightened up the array of chips and snacks next to the cash register.

A giggle escaped my lips as I turned around to face him.

"Well excuse me, but if I tell you then my wish won't come true." I laughed, raising my eyebrows.

"True, true." Chris nodded, pressing a sloppy kiss to my forehead before turning to serve our next customer.

A frown crossed my face as I looked out across the ocean.

The sky was pretty dark out there.

Chris seemed to notice the exact same thing that I did.

"I'm sorry we're closed." He suddenly said to the customer.

The lady looked shocked for a minute, but walked away with a frown.

"Marley stay here." Chris said before jogging over to Tommy next door.

I frowned as I peeled a banana.

Chris came running back.

"We need to close up." Chris said quickly, turning the key in the cash register.

"What? Why?" I frowned, chewing my banana.

Chris pointed out to the ocean.

"So it's getting dark, big deal." I shrugged.

Chris shook his head, taking the banana out of my hand.

"It's almost hurricane season, Marley." Chris said quickly, tossing my banana in the trash. "Help me get all of the tables and chairs in here."

"In here?" I raised my eyebrows.

"Well do you want to be outside when they start blowing around everywhere?" Chris raised his eyebrows, jumping over the counter.

I frowned, quickly following him.

"Is that a hurricane?" I asked, pointing to the ocean.

"No but it's a pretty big storm that's coming fast." Chris shook his head as he grabbed two chairs.

I saw everybody else on the beach quickly trying to pack up their stores.

So I helped Chris pack everything from around the store into the small space between the counters.

Chris looked out at the ocean as it started pouring.

"Chris go!" Tommy called as he locked the door to the bikini shop.

"Lock up." Chris tossed me the keys before taking off down the beach.

My hands were shaking and slippery as I locked the door and pulled the cover down over the counter.

"What do I do now?" I called to Tommy.

"Go home!" He called back through the rain.

I pushed my wet hair out of my face, realizing that I still had the baseball cap on.

Chris usually took the keys, but I just stuffed them in my pocket and ran through the rain to get to Aunt Audrey's house.

She looked worried as I burst into the house, soaking wet.