Thirty

Annabeth's P.O.V

Today was another average Monday, the same old, same old. I was in one of my classes, I share this class with Percy. He likes to text me and make me laugh in this class, it gets me in trouble sometimes but I can't hold in the laugh. Our teacher lets us early from this class on Mondays and Thursdays, I appreciate that because it's nice to get to lunch early and it gives me a bit of time to work on homework while I wait for the girls to get out of class. Today was a little different though. 

I was walking down the hall, there's this man dressed in all black and a ski mask. He has a gun! "Everybody get down!" I yell at the top of my lungs. People turn to look at me confused, I gesture at the man with the gun. A wave of commotion and panic explodes throughout everybody in the hallway.

The man shoots the gun three times, he aimed it towards the roof. No one looks hurt but I can't tell over the running, screaming, and crying. I met eyes with Percy, his eyebrows furrowed. The shooter brought his gun down and aimed it at one of the students. Percy lunged at him, I was frozen in fear and shock, I felt paralyzed. Percy was on top of the shooter, he tackled him, he's fighting with him, trying to take his gun. The shooter grabbed a hold of his gun and fired the gun twice into Percy's chest. 

"No!" I screamed, it was the type of scream I didn't even make on purpose but it just slipped out of me. The shooter pushed Percy off of him and got up. I tried to run to Percy when I felt the worst pain unimaginable. I locked eyes with Percy, he was heavily breathing, his blood splattered on his face. 

I feel something. Something warm and wet. I look down and I see two huge bloodstains on my yellow sweatshirt. That's when it hits me, I am shot. I feel myself tumbling over. I fall back and my head smacks hard against the floor. It's a pain I've never known, a pain I could never have even imagined or thought I could feel. The world starts to blur in and out. I turn to my left and see Percy laying in a pool of his blood a couple feet away from me.

I try to focus on his eyes, I see a mixture and contrast of greens and blues. Everything seems warped and gargled, the screams sound muffled. I try to focus on Percy but it's too difficult, I can't breathe. It feels as if there are thousands of sharp knives in my chest when I try to breathe. My blinks seem like they last minutes, the world seems to slow down. With each blink I take the darker the world looks until I can't open my eyes and all I see is darkness. 

Everything hurts. All I feel is pain and pain and pain. With each breath, I take my lungs to feel like they're closing up more and more. I can feel my blood slowly seeping into my lungs. I want to breathe but I can't, I feel like I'm drowning.

In my state of darkness, I hear more sobs. Suddenly the pain stops, not completely but it feels better, just like I'm numb.

While everything was dark I heard talking. A guy's voice. 

"Hey man." I recognize it. It's Jason's. "You got the girl. She's your soulmate. Almost everybody has their soulmates except me so thanks for being a dick and finding your soulmate before me. You're a jackass for that one. But even though you're annoying as hell I need you to pull through. Come on buddy. You can do it. You can't get the girl if you're dead. The guys need you, your mom needs you, your sister needs you, your stepdad needs you. I need you, we've been friends since 1st grade, don't be the asshole breaks our friendship. Also I pretty sure Satan isn't gonna want you to annoy him just yet."

What is going on?

During my darkness, I also could hear Piper and some of the girls.

I don't know how long I was unconscious for but I had enough strength to open my eyes, it felt like I just took a long nap. My eyes fluttered open a bit. Why is it all so bright? I turned my head, Piper is asleep in a chair next to the bed I'm in. Where am I? I scanned the room, this looks like a hospital.