00| prologue

JUST TWO MILES east of the Brooklyn bridge is where I am right now, opposite to the pier, is a scenery of busy pedestrians, buildings and asphalt

JUST TWO MILES east of the Brooklyn bridge is where I am right now, opposite to the pier, is a scenery of busy pedestrians, buildings and asphalt. The tinges of warmth are disputed by the cool air letting autumn come like a tuneful song. I sat on the bench, a sour patch bag in my hand with my feet dangling shortly above the ground.

"Celio! The taxi is here!" My mom's soft voice called me out from a distance, a yellow with black checkered car was already at bay. She ushered me to get in and so I did, and we both hurried inside before the wind became unfavorable.

"Where are we going mom?"

"Somewhere safer." She gave me a sincere smile. At ten years old, I take after her resemblance, dark brown hair and hazel eyes. It's always been the two of us, mom told me she had to leave my dad for my sake, I believe her, I always do. She continued to hum a melody I've come to be familiar with while stroking my hair ever so lightly, it wasn't long until sleep consumed me.

❀❀❀

"Shit! What the fuck is going on?!"

I jolted awake to the sound of mom's screams, glass being shattered, and gunshots from somewhere outside, the hairs on my arms arise by how terrified my mom looked as she clutched to my small body tightly. It was all a blur, one moment I was drifting along and the next, a loud clash emerged.

For a moment, everything becomes still and silent, the smell of gasoline reaches my nose as I groan in pain. Blood, so much blood smearing over my hand after I pat my head while trying to ignore the piercing sound echoing inside. The taxi driver was no longer moving, so I didn't bother to check on him and focused solely on my mom.

"Mom?" I barely recognize my voice, they're hoarse and weak.

When I didn't hear any response, my heartbeat accelerated as I reached out to her. "Mom? Are you okay?" I brushed her hair away to mask out her face, my fingers touched her nose, desperate to feel her breathe, it was faint and slow, a flicker of hope gave me strength knowing she was alive.

"Lady bug..." Her soft voice erupted, "You need t-to..hide..." She whispered while palming my face to which I leaned into. "I'm getting both of us out of here, it's okay mom, move slowly." I let out a shaky breath as I pushed the door on my side, "No..Celio..You don't understand, these guys.."

"Shh mom, it will be okay." I reassured her before getting out of the car so I could pull her out from the other side. I almost lost my balance when I escaped out of the wrecked vehicle, I'm surprised my tiny body survived the crash.

The sky was no longer bright. Orange hues I tempt to love have turned bleak with dark clouds looming over the atmosphere. I expected to see familiar concrete of New York City, where walkers would still be around as the city never sleeps. But no, everything is empty and lonely, like a ghost town. I'm such a deep sleeper I didn't even notice we moved cities.

I was about to retrieve my mom when a stygian car cruised and parked itself near us, a smile beamed across my face at the thought of us getting help, though it faltered the second the two intimidating men raised their guns. I ducked  immediately, they couldn't see me through the dark when I peered through the small gap of my opened door.

It all happened so fast, my mom's dainty figure was dragged harshly, her pleadings formulated my panic as she begged for mercy, but they didn't let her go, she screamed on top of her lungs before two shots set off like fireworks. My mom lets out a pained shriek while my trembling hand smothers my gasps. Her lifeless body collapsed, her doe eyes meeting mine.

And then there was silence. Pure silence even when a skull tattooed arm grazed her neck.

My eyes water as I struggle to breathe, acid creeped up my throat but I fight with all I can to not get sick and stay silent, to quiver without a sound, afraid they'll come after me next.

"It's done, capo, she's dead." With that, they left, slamming their doors as their car roared in life before taking off.

Each minute passed yet I stayed still with my knees close to my chest, pulling myself wishing I could disappear, hoping that this was all a dream and that mom will hold me with kisses and whisper sweet nothings the moment I woke up.

But I never did, because this is real.

What was once whole is now shattered.

So I allowed the darkness to hug me, to grieve with me, to let the wind of the night blow me away and destroy my thoughts, my mind and my soul.

❀❀❀
Update next Saturday!
Instagram | rainingtaccos