Chapter 16

Now

Things couldn't have been worse. I'm so stupid, only an idiot would go to someone else's house and stand outside, trying to look inside like a stalker. I was acting like Katherine. Except I didn't follow Bryan home, I just showed up at his house, which in some ways, was worse.

The worst part is, I didn't get my answer, I still don't know if Katherine and Bryan live together. I can't ask Katherine either because I'm mad at her too. I shouldn't have come back here. I should have said no to my mom when she asked me to come for the funeral. I didn't even know my aunt, there's no point in being surrounded by people who are upset and sulking about someone being dead if I didn't even know the damn person.

I pull into a spot at the mall and get out of my car, slamming the door shut and locking it with my keys. It's not until I put the keys back into my pocket that I realize my hands are shaking. I don't know how to make them stop, so I shove them in my pockets.

I don't know exactly what I'm doing at the mall, so, I roam around getting a coffee from a Starbucks on the main floor, then take the elevator back up to the top floor where I go into Old Navy where I stare in a daze at a sweater that I don't even like. I sit on a chair in the mall and scroll through my phone. I don't know how many hours go by, but I sit there for quite a while, just scrolling through Buzzfeed articles about celebrity tweets. Every now and then I laugh at a tweet and shake my head at the rest. That's how I planned on spending the rest of the evening until a speaker through the PA system says that the mall is closing in 15 minutes. I sigh and get up. I head back downstairs to Starbucks again for another coffee, after I grab it, I walk back to my car from the outside, just taking in the cold night air. I unlock my car, the thought of sleep taking over my body.

Once I pull up to the driveway, I knock on the door, a few seconds later, my mom answers it again. This time, she's in her pink silk bathrobe. I hate to say it, but she really does look like a rich housewife, even if she's not technically a wife.

"Where were you?" she asks. She doesn't sound mad, or worried, she just sounds genuinely curious.

"I just had some stuff to take care of." I walk past her and head up the stairs.

"You missed dinner," she calls out as I get to the landing.

"I'll have dinner with you tomorrow," I lie. I go into my room and close the door. I brush my teeth and change into shorts and another sweater. I turn the lights out and crawl into bed. I let my head hit the pillow with a thump. After staring at the ceiling for a few minutes, I turn my head to look out the window, the waves crash against the shore, and I look further to see that they're also crashing against the cliff. I shut my eyes tight, trying to push any memories out of my head.

I can't take it.

I get up, and drop the blinds. They slam against the window pane, with a bang, distinguishing my anger a tiny bit.

I hate the ocean.