Chapter 1

"I can't believe we're about to take our SATs!!" I say sounding nervously.
"Its about time...I can't wait to get to college!!!!" Alyssa say, relaxed.
"I guess. Well, I'll see you after. Good luck!"

Man, that was harder than I expected! I thought. At least I finished.
As soon as I'm done with that extremely test, I quickly hand my test in, and walk out the doors of the building. I turn my head, and I see my mom standing there.
"So how'd it go?"
"I told you that I would get a ride with Alyssa, Mom."
"You know how I feel about that girl. Besides, I bet she's still taking the test."
"Haha, Mom. There's a time limit."
"How'd it go..?"
"I think I did fine, but those questions were really intense."
"Oh, I can't believe my little girl will be in college soon. I remember the first day of school for you, you would beg me not to leave you. Looks like my little girl isn't so little anymore."
"Ok, Mom. No need to get emotional in front of most of my school."

"Heyyy...was that easy or what?" Alyssa walks out of the building, looking better than ever.
Alyssa looked so perfect. She looked so confident. Her blonde curls bouncing up and down. Everyone staring at her.
"Oh, hey Alyssa..how'd you do?"
"Like I know...oh hey Mrs. Viliegas!"
"Hello, Alyssa."
"Well, then I guess you can get a ride with your mom. Catch ya later then, Kal. Maybe we can grab some coffee tomorrow..."
"Uhhh..yeah." She already caught up with some other people.

Once we get home, I go up to my bedroom and start flipping through some picture albums. Tears start streaming down my face. Mom is right. Her little girl isn't so little anymore.

"Knock knock!!" The door opens. And my best friends in the whole world (not Alyssa) were standing there.
"You guys!!!"
"We thought we would stop by!!"
"You came here all the way from Seattle??!"
"Your going to college, we had to come!!"
"Maybe.."
"Your going to get into Columbia, no matter what." I smile.
"So, did you guys take your SATs?" All three of them look down.
"Sabrina? Zara? Riley?"
"Go ahead. Tell her." Riley says, sounding a bit ashamed.
"3 months ago we all took our tests for colleges. I took it for Princeton.. I got in!!" Sabrina says.
"Oh my gosh! Congrats!! How come you didn't tell me earlier?" I squeak.
"I thought it would be better if we all told you in person."
"What about you Zara?"
"Stanford. I took a test for Stanford.. And I got in!!" Zara says, excitedly.
"That's so great! What about you Riley?"
"Me? Oh, I took it for Yale."
"Good for you!! That's one of the greatest colleges!!" Riley looks down.
"I didn't get in..." Riley starts crying.
"Riley. Uhhh...I'm so sorry...." I feel so guilty.
What if the same thing happened to me? I would be totally screwed....
"She's going to go to Seattle Pacific University." Zara tells me.
"Girls!!!!" Mom called us downstairs.
"C'mon! Everything will turn out fine. I promise." I say, trying to cheer Riley up.
Mom called us downstairs because Sabrina's, Zara's, and Riley's parents called, and they had to go. Later on tonight we are going out to dinner to celebrate for Sabrina and Zara.
"See you later tonight, Kalani!" Sabrina and Zara said happily.
"Bye." Riley said grumpily.

I already start picking out my outfit for dinner. It is a blue dress with flowers all over it. I pick my nude wedges. And pearls. I would curl my hair. Natural makeup look. Perfect.
I wonder what things would be like in college. Was it like how movies were? Probably not. Were there parties every weekend? Maybe. Maybe Mom knows all this stuff. She's had her college experience.

"Hey, Mom! Can we talk? You know...about college?"
"Oh, yeah of course, hon." She says putting her People magazine down. "I guess this talk is today," she said smiling. I give my mom a tight hug.
"I love you, Mom."
"I love you too, sweetheart. Now, college is tough. It's fun when you go to parties and stay up all night with your friends in your dorm room. But, your focus is school. Get good grades, always study, you'll be a great success. More advice coming." Mom smiles.
"Thanks. That helped me a bit."