Chapter 2

06/08/13
5 MONTHS LATER

I have been sitting in the family room, looking out the window, on my favorite blue chair, since 7:30am. I'm waiting for the mailman to come, so I can get my letter, to see where my future lies.
I laid out magazines, books, cookies, and more, so I don't get bored. I went on my laptop, to look at Columbia's fashion department articles, that I've read more than a million times, and memorized.
All of a sudden, I hear the usual whistle. I know right away it is the mailman. I run outside, push pass the mailman, and look through the mailbox. Bills, bills, catalog, coupons, bills, test results. Aha! Once I get back into the house, I throw the mail on the counter in the family room, sit down on my favorite blue chair, and rip open the letter.

Here it goes, Kalani! Your college results are in this letter. I thought.
I unfold the letter. The handwriting looks like mine. Wait, wouldn't Columbia type out the results? Whatever, that doesn't matter....what if it does matter? Forget it!!....

Dear Kalani,
I know this is hard to believe but I am you writing to you from the future. I am going to tell you the right-
I heard someone coming down. I hid the letter inside one of my magazines.
"Morning, Kal. Did your tests results come in?"
"Morning, Mom. And, uh-uh- the letter didn't come in. Unfortunately."
"Ugh, well that's a bummer. They should've been in by now." She said, while munching on a cookie. "Well, I'm going to go run some errands. Wanna tag along?"
I thought about finishing the letter.
"Uhhh...I think I'll stay."
"Alright, see you later."
I waited until the car was out of sight to finish reading the letter.

-things to do. Ok, I have exciting news for you. Well, me. We got into Columbia!!!
I literally had a heart attack. I started squealing of joy.
-But......
My smile fades.
-I was really stupid. And I quit college. The beginning of sophomore year. Mom, Dad, everyone stopped talking to me. Even Sabrina, Zara, and Riley stopped talking to me. And now I live in my friend's dad's basement, in Minnesota. I work at Forever 21. Anyways, it's awful the way my life is. No family calls to see how I'm doing. Friends disconnected. But, one day something happened. A chance to change everything. It was a rainy night. I was running through the rain, when I saw a homeless man. I wanted to give him some money. When I handed him the money, he didn't accept it. He said to me that he knows that I made a big mistake in my life, and that I'm currently paying for it. He said he could see it in my eye, in my face how much I wanted to change something. So, he showed me a time machine. I know, it sounds so unrealistic. But I am you. I'm not lying. He told me it could only go back in time once to change everything. I said to him that he should go. He said that I need it more then he does. Before, I went in the time machine I wrote this letter and mailed it. And now I'm basically you.
I got a bit frightened, because I didn't remember any of this.
-As annoying as some of the people are in your future and Columbia, you have to stay! Stay in school, visit the family, keep in touch with your friends. Everything will be and stay perfect if you listen to me. Please don't make any mistakes. We can't turn back again.

Sincerely,
Kalani

P.S. No one should know about this.

I didn't believe this. Its impossible. It was probably a prank or something.
I was looking through the other mail, when I saw a letter from Columbia. I opened it up.
It said that I was accepted. That letter has to be was real.