three | wait for me

Days went by so fast, I never noticed it's been weeks since you gave me that first letter.

And unbeknownst to myself, your words and simple charm became special to me.

― ❀ ―

The girl whose hair had the same color of a vegetable felt her heart pounding out her chest, the bell had already rang and her feet neared the locker; she caught a glimpse of a paper stuck between it.

Nene felt heat creeping up her cheeks, the recollection of what happened a few days ago stuck an impression on her; knowing already what to expect on this new letter of his.

Her fragile hands slowly removed the wax and opened the envelope. Fear crawled up her skin but she still continued with mixed emotions of fright and excitement, only to be jumpscared in the process.

"Nene-chan!"

"Eeek― A-Aoi-chan?!" Nene exclaimed in her surprise. Her heartbeat ran twice as fast, increasing as if her life depended on it. That was a close heart attack experience.

Aoi chuckled heartily, "Haha, I didn't want to scare you Nene-chan." Aoi beared a smile. The other girl took deep breaths and calmed herself down. After a while, she responded, "I-it's fine.." Stuttering, she mirrored her smile.

"What do you have here?" Aoi asked, gesturing to the paper in her hands. As if on cue, Nene remembered it was on her open hands. "I-it's nothing..?" Nene flashed a small smile to hide her nervousness. Nene trusted Aoi more than she'll ever know, yet she hid the paper on instinct― she herself was surprised by her actions.

The cheerful beam present on Aoi's face made Nene feel guilty, so she reluctantly gave in and told her. "It's.. um, another letter of his." Nene mumbled. The girl beside her muttered an 'oh' in understanding. "Speaking of which, I haven't heard of him from you these days." Aoi hummed.

Nene's cheeks burned red. The reason behind it was because she was entirely new to this, that it was embarrassing to show her. Aoi grinned, entertained by the reactions of her bestfriend.

I wonder, who really is this person behind the letters which got Nene-chan so flustered? She thought, her eyebrows furrowing.

Focusing on the situation at hand, Nene didn't mind Aoi looming over her while she mustered up the courage to not melt into a puddle once more.

Lifting the paper to her eye level, maybe it was because things went by so suddenly she didn't notice how simple and neat the handwriting was. It wasn't close girl's neat writing, nevertheless, it looked like every letter was put with so much thought and hardwork.

Nene started to read, her mind inevitably forming fantasies of her own.

"Hey.. I'll get right to the point. I just want to apologise if you were shocked because of my unexpected letters. I'm not using you or anything, I just don't want you to misunderstand."

Well, that was anticlimatic. Aoi kept quiet by her side, feeling apologetic even if it wasn't her fault. Nene however, even if she pretended to not mind it, but a little, teeny tiny bit on the back of her mind was kinda.. disappointed it wasn't a cheesy pick-up line.

Furthermore, when she was about to stuff it her bag and sulk for the rest of the day was the split second her brain thought it saw something at the end of the letter.