Chapter 6

"Someone's here for you." Edward turned Bella around and pointed towards Maisie and Jacob coming their way.

"Happy birthday, Bells!" Maisie said excitedly.

Bella hummed in slight disapproval as she hugged her at the mention of her birthday.

"Hi Mai, and hello biceps? You know anabolic steroids are really bad for you," Bella said addressing the girl's brother.

Maybe it was because she hung out with him all summer but she hadn't really noticed that Jacob had gotten taller and some muscles.

"I'm just filling out, Bella. You would know if you hung out with us more."

"You should switch schools then. Or come for lunch like Maisie, hang out with us pale faces," Bella joked.

Jacob laughed with her. "I'm good, think the res is more fun. Happy birthday by the way. I saw this and thought of you."

Jacob held up a dreamcatcher that Bella gratefully took. Maisie pulled out her sketchbook and ripped out the page with Bella's portrait.

"These are actually perfect presents, you two."

Bella hugged them both, her hug on Jacob lingering a little longer than when she hugged Maisie.

"I figured you wouldn't want something too flashy," Maisie said.

"You know she's been more open with her drawings, starting to give them out like favors. Still hasn't finished mine yet," Jacob quipped.

"You haven't finished my car yet. I'm sick of the stupid motorcycle."

"I was going to say," Edward spoke up. "Bikes don't really seem your style Maisie."

He didn't mind speaking up around Jacob. Maisie gave in a few weeks ago and told Jacob about their friendship. Unlike her dad, Jake didn't seem to have any particular feelings towards the Cullens but he agreed to keep quiet about her friends. Maisie walked off to talk with Edward by his car while Bella caught up with Jake.

"It's cause bikes aren't. You want to see a picture of the car?"

"It's small and cute, like you."

"Is that a compliment?"

"Why wouldn't it be?"

"Your words sound sweet but your eyes confuse me."

"My eyes?" Edward looked into her brown eyes.

"What's Jacob thinking about right now?"

Edward smiled as Maisie quickly deflected. She could never look him in the eyes for very long without feeling like every secret of hers was his to know. Edward wanted nothing more than to please Maisie so he entertained her question but never took his eyes from hers. He could hear her heartbeat get faster the longer he looked. His instincts enjoyed it, like a hunt. But he didn't want to hurt her.

"Bella's gotten prettier since he last saw her. The new part for your car comes in today or tomorrow morning. He's wondering if you're staying for lunch, apparently there's a nacho bar at your school today?"

"Nachos?"

Jacob was always the one that paid attention to the lunch menu, Maisie just showed up to the cafeteria.

"And what color you want for the outside and the seats."

"He's gonna change the seats? Aww, I said he didn't have to."