7. Adorned

The airport was a melange of various people, their distinct voices and monotone announcements

The airport was a melange of various people, their distinct voices and monotone announcements. In basic terms, it was chaotic and noisy.

Crystal hugged her daughter and tears of separation dragged languidly down her cheeks. Though her dad was calm, she knew that he was upset from the inside.

On the other hand, Ryan's dad was pretty cool about the situation and was patting his son on the back. Both of them were doing meek efforts to calm Ryan's crying mother.

They bid farewell to their parents and boarded the flight and an hour later, the plane took off.

Shailene looked out through the window and was awed by the view that looked like Lego city. The buildings were getting smaller and smaller as the plane lifted up to higher altitudes. They reached a height where everything got covered by balls of clouds.

During the five hour flight, they talked about the beginning of their new lives and planned to do various stuff together before having a siesta.

"I'm full of beans!" Shailene admitted when the airplane landed on the airport. The sun was gone to bed.
He laughed and gently squeezed her hand.

They checked out and rented a cab. Their luggage was to be dropped at the dormitory. Excitement had pushed their fatigue to the precipice of their consciousness.

As the cab stopped near the dormitory Ryan asked, "Do you want to catch a glimpse of the university?"

"No. We'd technically be living there."

"So... How about the tour of the city?"

"Sounds great. I'll meet you after having a shower."

"Sure, I'll be waiting here."

"Alright, see you then."

They left to their respective dormitories with their backpacks slinging on their shoulders.

A short while later, Ryan reached the entrance of the dormitory, where he had promised to wait for her. Shailene arrived a few minutes later. Her hair were bouncing on the trampoline that were her shoulders as she came almost running towards him.

"I hope I didn't make you wait long," she said sheepishly.

"You didn't," he reassured, smiling.

They strolled down the streets with their hands mingled and watched the busy streets brimming with incoherent babbles of people. A massive window looked into a store where a couple was drinking from a glass with two straws. Ryan shared a smile with Shailene as they moved forward.

A girl banged her shoulder in Shailene's and she collided with Ryan. When he looked back, the girl winked and walked away. He smiled as Shailene gained her balance in his arms.

They stopped in front of a diner. He pulled out the chair for her before sitting across her. A brunette waitress came to take their orders before bringing them their meal. The diner was stuffed with people. It was a hot dog stuffed with distinct personalities and sprinkled with their light-hearted talks.

But Ryan and Shailene didn't talk while eating. The only sound at their table was of forks and knives dancing on the China plates.

The air was touched-up by coolness when they emerged out of the crowded diner. The cold breeze kissed their skin with its chapped lips and pointy, sharp teeth. It sheathed Shailene's overt arms with ice covers and she shivered. Ryan pulled her close and they walked huddled together until they had to part their ways at the dormitory.

"Good night," he breathed in her hair as they detangled.

"Good night," she whispered. Her voice quivered due to the low temperature outside and the heat that kindled her from the inside.

They stood there locking their eyes on each other not wanting to leave. Their hearts were preys running away from ravenous predators. Shailene pulled him in an abrupt embrace. They stood their enjoying the warmth of the other as their hearts beat in sync.

The sun was pinned on the overcast sky. It was a diamond giving off a yellow shine and a mirthful warmth. It was hot to a point that mirages were seen.

"What a hot day," Shailene said as she wiped the sweat off her forehead with a gentle sweep of her hanky.

"And the night was teeth shattering cold," Ryan replied.

They were walking toward the university with their backpacks hanging loosely on their shoulders. Many students accompanied them on their ten minutes foot march from the dorms to the campus.

"See you at lunchtime," Shailene said.

"Yeah."

And they separated to attend their lectures.
***

"Today was the boring day of my life," Ryan spoke above the ear wrecking commotion of the cafeteria.

"Mine too. Every lecture there was the same thing. Introductions, explanation of schedule and the worst part of all-ASSIGNMENTS." She sighed.

As they were eating their food, Ryan asked, "What are we doing today?"
"Stay in your dorm room and study."

"What! Don't be a spoiler. We have just started."

"I know but I have a lot of stuff to deal with." She sighed.

"So... Can we hang out tomorrow then?" He prompted.

"Actually, no. We can only hang out on Saturdays now. I have already got a week full of assignments. I don't think this schedule is going to alter anytime in the future."

"Ah! That's terrible." He grumbled.

"We shouldn't forget what we came here for."

He sighed and looked at the dirty, tiled floor painted with wet, brown footprints and crushed pieces of breadcrumbs that were glued to it like sticky notes. He looked up and pushed down the revulsion that threatened to pour the meagre contents of his stomach on the already untidy floor.

"Is something bothering you?" Shailene asked and his urge to puke was pushed aside by his jittery nervous system.

"No!" He threw a nervous laugh at her. "What makes you think that?" He looked down at his half-full plate. His appetite was half-dead when he entered the cafeteria, but now it was gone completely.

"Save your lies for someone who'll believe them."

He sighed. "It's nothing serious, but..." He ran a hand through his messy, thick hair. "I have my regular TB treatment this Saturday. It is my first appointment with Dr. Brighton. My former doc, Dr. Longman, handed over my case to him since I can not see him every weekend."

His eyes were sliding down the torn poster of a man holding a guitar. "I don't know why, but I'm a bit nervous."

She placed her hand over his and rubbed it gently. "I'll come with you."

"No. It's alright. You don't have to come with me."

"We agreed to spend our Saturdays together, so I'll be coming with you and that's final. No more discussion on this," she informed.

"Aye aye, captain!" He gave her a salute and their tingling laughter adorned the cacophony of noises.