Chapter 11: A Certain Gratification

This is Tendo Maya .

Junna cannot comprehend what she just discovered. Major Tendo Maya is Kagayaku Tengoku? No, that sounds too absurd. But the code says otherwise. Each heist contained at least one letter of the code, and the order of the heists indicates the placement of each letter in 15 slots, spelling out the name of the purple-eyed officer.

Junna pushed her glasses back, feeling a headache coming. What the heck is Tendo doing? IF she knew Junna can crack the code, why would she point it out and even help the corporal solve it? Is she planning to get caught? The General might kill his own daughter if he finds out Tengoku's identity. With only a few weeks left, Junna knew she needed to arrest the major, even though she felt reluctant.

How would Claudine feel if she founds out her partner was the one she desperately wanted to catch? The two are on a day off today, so they're definitely spending their time together inside Claudine's apartment. After the ball, did Claudine notice anything with Maya? If she did, she would have handcuffed the major by now and brought her back to the station with a smug smirk on her face. But there's nothing.

A sigh escaped Junna's mouth. Now what?

"Are you alright Junna?" Nana asked her purple-haired crush as she notices her deep sighs every minute. She had recently healed from the stab wounds, yet she can't do anything heavy or she might reopen her stitched back. Nana can do her usual shop things, so that's good. She sits down beside the corporal, fixing her froggy apron.

"It's just that Tengoku isn't who I really expected. Much more, she even works with us in the office." Nana felt a chill down her spine. Do they know that Maya is Tengoku?

"Can I ask who is it? I know you can't spill anything about the cases you're working on but I'm here to listen to your troubles." Nana gently patted the officer's back and smiled, hiding her nervousness inside. A technique she learned from Maya, who perfects it every time.

"I know I can trust you, Nana. But I can't say their name. That person is known here in this town. Perfectly cold to everyone who crosses their paths with them. Yet after getting to know them, they were kind, warm, and even good at dealing with everyday problems at the office, even dealing with the hot-headed Kuro-chan." Nana nodded silently, listening intently at the corporal. The unnamed person Junna is talking about is definitely Maya. Now, Nana felt more cautious about what to say around Junna.

"Then the code. She was the one who said there was a code for the heists, and she wanted me to crack it. She helped with every step and even praised my work after I confirm with her. And by now I'm pretty sure you know her." Junna looked at Nana, who slightly frowns at the corporal.

"Yeah, I know. She told me you were worried about me when I disappeared. That Maya..." Nana whispered the last part, remembering that her friend planned to reveal her identity before the year ends. Of course, Hikari and Nana didn't agree with this decision, but the major assured them it was for the best.

"You knew she was Tengoku?" The fake smile returned to Nana's face. Standing up to go to the kitchen, turning back to Junna before saying;

"Nope. I just learned it now." Now it was Nana's turn to lie.

____

A phone call arrived at the office with all officers dreading for the detective's presence. It fed general Tendo Yuichi up with waiting for a year, only a few weeks left before the deadline, and Yuichi kept hearing the failure of the officers to stop Tengoku after speaking to his subordinates. They observed how Maya and her blonde partner work, and Yuichi understood Maya needed someone better than Claudine. Especially seeing them being too close for his comfort. He needed to end the year and remove the detective from her position. Now he is calling the detective's office, waiting to bring his menacing news. But the one who answered the phone was his daughter herself, Major Tendo Maya.

"Father," Maya answered with brimming confidence and politeness that Maya's voice surprised Yuichi. Maya expected her father to call and clearly threaten her Claudine, which is obviously a no-no for Maya. Now that Claudine is busy talking Futuba, Maya can talk alone with her father.

"Maya. I wish to speak to your... partner, Detective Saijo-san." The pause was an indication of his disapproval of the detective being with his daughter.

"I'm afraid only I can talk to you right now, father."

"You have three weeks left and still no progress was made by that woman. You do know the consequences, that's why I suggest that you stop being chummy with someone who's worthless." Maya gritted her teeth. A burst of her anger won't do anything good in this conversation.

"I understand, Father. We'll meet again in three weeks and I know by that time Claudine will apprehend Tengoku."

"I see. You put too much trust in that girl, to the point of referring to her with her first name. Goodbye, Maya. Hope you won't fail more of my expectations." The line went silent, and Maya hung up, sighing at such a tense phone call.

____

"What exactly is bothering you this much, Kuro?" The pink-haired girl asked as she stares at the detective who was stressing herself out. Claudine answered little to Futaba's frustration, yet the pink-haired girl really wanted to help her friend, so keeping her cool was the only choice.

"It's Tendo isn't it?"

"Wha-? How do you know?"

"She's the only one that can get you this... this," Futuba stated, spreading her arms out, emphasizing Claudine's mood.

"Then what would you do if Kaoruko is a criminal and you're an officer? Would you arrest her?"

"I don't have a choice, don't I? Kaoruko would probably force me to quit the police force and join her with her escapades."

"What if you do have a choice?"

"I'll still join her either way. Though I might lose my job and even my reputation, I'd rather be with that hopeless girl than put her into jail." The girl who was listening on the other side of the door smiled happily hearing her girlfriend's statement. Blue-haired demon, Kaoruko, has been tuning in with the two officers' private conversation.

"Why are you asking this? Is this related to Tendo or something?"

"Tengoku is actually Maya and now I don't know what to do." Futuba who just heard the shocking news, stayed silent, quietly processing it in her brain.

"That's definitely a difficult one, huh? But Kuro, it's up to you to make a choice. I'd support you in any way I can."

"Yeah, thank you, Futuba. Just voicing this out to someone lightened my chest." Futuba got closer to Claudine and gently patted her back.

"No problem. In the meantime, relax in your office. Stressing about it will cause you more fatigue and pain."

"Right. I'll go now. Thanks again."

Oh? The blue-devil smirked as she silently walks away from the door before she can get caught. Now that Claudine knows Maya is Tengoku, Maya definitely hasn't noticed it yet. Though Maya excelled at the academy, her obliviousness was no joke at all. Maybe Kaoruko should tell the major about this, how her partner is having a hard time deciding what to do.

But that's no fun at all.

The blue-devil kept everything a secret and just watch the scene unfold in front of her. After all, Maya and Claudine needed more than just a little push to confirm everything else.

Isn't fun?