Chapter 14: False Reassurance

Maya can hear a faint sound of gunfire as she walks down the long concrete hallway, handcuffed and surrounded by officers of high rankings. She says nothing, but the surrounding men seem to notice the sound. All men stopped in their tracks, readying their guns with organized formation.

"Take Tendo-san into the cell back into the basement. Lock the door. Kill any trespassers." A colonel commanded, as the others saluted and pushed Maya to walk faster. As Maya and the rest run towards the said destination, it was clear that an unwanted trespasser was present tonight.

She sat down on the cold concrete. Once the clock struck 10 o'clock sharp, she would sit on that chair in front of her. Straps were on the legs, arms, waist, and wrist. The wooden manchette and arm were tied with multiple leather locks that Maya never imagined would be used on her. But she didn't think about her upcoming death. Her talking to Claudine after the trial was the only thing running through her mind. The admiral had kept his word, letting the two meet up privately.

____

Earlier...

"You fool! Why did you tell him!?" She could clearly hear the detective's voice in her mind. A smile creeping on her face. The guards looked at her with a bizarre look, questioning the woman's mindset during these few minutes of her remaining alive.

"I wanted to come clean. After all, I didn't want you to suffer for something you actually accomplished. Father was looking down on you and I didn't want that." Maya replays her reply, the cold air of the night surrounding her. She closes her eyes, ready to rest, and let her guard down.

"I don't care if he was looking down on me. Slapping you was the worst thing I saw that I almost wanted to kill him."

"Claudine, please don't do that. I don't think you'll go to heaven and meet me if that happens."

"Do you think I want to see your face in heaven? I'd rather be in hell burning than see that annoying smirk on your face."

"Why don't you wipe it off with your lips?" Ah, Maya missed the blushing face of the detective, lightly punching her in her annoyance. It was always like that. Claudine denies her feelings in avoidance of looking vulnerable in front of Maya. But sometimes honesty is what Maya craved and the honesty of the French woman was what she got.

"My hand would gladly do that than my lips," Claudine smirked at Maya as she covered Maya's lips with her palm. Maya's muffled complaints made Claudine laugh at her partner's face, eyebrows furrowed after her expectations were let down. She let out her tongue, grazing the cold skin that was blocking her words. Claudine immediately pulled her hand away, screaming at Maya in French.

"Méchant va! That's disgusting, Tendo Maya!" Maya smiled and chuckled at the fuming Claudine in front of her.

Again, Maya just fell more deeply in love with her.

____

"You have fifteen minutes before Maya gets electrified." Hikari messaged as Claudine quietly knocks out the 4th guard of the night. Nana went in a different direction, planting a time bomb. Stealth didn't work well with Claudine. Her blonde hair always caught the guard's attention before she can knock them out.

"There she is!"

It was too much. The men rushed Claudine with their guns shooting. Quick and precise. Built and made with skill. They're definitely from the admiral.

Claudine made her stance. Knees bent, feet shoulder-width apart, chin down, and gun up. The bullets barely grazed her as the cape prevented sight for the men. She shoots one. Barely missing, she shoots again. But the men rushed towards her with a cocked arm, losing her balance. She feels the pain from hitting the ground. A groan escaped from her lips. She smashed her loaded gun into one of the men's faces. An opportunity to escape.

But another man pinned her down. Handcuffs at the ready, Claudine smashed her shin into his groin. He crumpled to the ground, making some vague curses. Claudine struggled to lose the grip on her arm. Her gun was laying somewhere, but she couldn't reach it. Her sword. Blood flowed down the sharp blade as she stabs the two who were holding her down. She stood up.

And dashed forward. Only to meet a dead end.

The alarms went off as the bomb impact rang across the building. Claudine felt her ears clogged. She coughed, smoke wall filling the narrow hallway. Another bomb exploded near the area, the ground shaking. Claudine's legs tremble, supporting herself by leaning on the white wall. The men catch up, bullets flying in Claudine's direction.

She can't dodge. There's no space to move to. She bust open the door behind her. Loud knocks bang on the door. Claudine pushing all of her strength to keep them out.

Gunshot.

Claudine felt her head slightly spin at the sudden bullet inside of her. They had shot through the door, exactly aiming at Claudine's thigh. She felt huge pressure, yet no pain. Her heart was pumping. She smiled.

After opening the door, she used her long sword making the men drop to the ground. Screams tickled her ears, but guilt didn't pass through her mind.

She needed Maya. Maya is in danger. Maya is all she could think of.

Blood was everywhere. From the white walls to the red carpet, the red liquid was staining everywhere. More men came running but were cut off by an explosion in between the two. By the time she looks up, the smoked hallway cleared up, the men on the ground unconscious. The men were good. Good enough for the army, but not for Nana. Her tricks are too complicated.

Claudine didn't move an inch, looking forward. Nana stood there, blood dripping from her hand.

"Maya's in the basement."

____

If Maya fell asleep, she's definitely awake now. She was already moved to the chair; her limbs were stuck on the leather straps that were holding them down. The chair was cold and the guards around her were definitely ready to flip the switch to her final breath. Right, this is it. She slowly closed her eyes, waiting for the electricity to take her.

But nothing happened.

The door burst open. A woman with blonde hair readily aimed at the guards, injuring them but not killing them. Maya couldn't believe what she was hearing or seeing right now. The woman was obviously Claudine, her red eyes meeting Maya's purple after she takes down two more on the armed men. She couldn't say anything as Claudine unbuckles the locked belt, making Maya breathed. She scanned the detective, looking for if she was hurt or injured before she got here.

"Ma Claudine, your legs are covered with blood." Maya whispers in French, removing her tuxedo jacket, ripping it with Claudine's dropped long sword, making a makeshift bandage. Maya just flipped Claudine's skirt, not minding the embarrassment that came with it. Claudine said nothing nor move, just watched the troubled Maya expertly bandage her wound, applying just enough pressure, wiping the excess blood.

"Ma Maya, shouldn't you be worried about yourself? You almost died."

"Almost. Now, let's get out of here before they find out."

"Tendo-san, Saijo-san. It's a fine evening, isn't it?"

It was the admiral.