Chapter Two: Apparently, Music Isn't All About Music

I shivered slightly as I entered the offices of 'Go! Go! Idols!'. It was the company that Rie's group would be signing with, and my job as their manager was to meet with their representative and go over the details of the contract.

I made my way across the thinly-carpeted floor to what appeared to be the front desk. As I walked I saw framed photos lining the walls, all of them of various idol groups that the company presumably represented; some of them wore all bright colors – pinks and light blues – while others wore darker colors. One group, the 'Cherry Bombs', appeared to be trying to wear every color ever created, and my eyes widened as I tried to imagine the thought processes of anyone who would want to do that.

I finally arrived at the desk, where a young woman in a lot of makeup and at least four different colors in her hair sat poking at her phone. "Excuse me; I have an appointment."

She flinched, nearly losing her grip on her phone; apparently the half-dozen or so meters that I had to walk to get to her desk hadn't been enough of a warning. "Name?" she asked, not even looking at me as she put down her phone before moving a nearby keyboard to where she could better reach it.

"Okazaki Tomoya, ma'am."

Her expression took on what appeared to be mild irritation before typing on her keyboard, and I wondered if my name had offended her in some way. "Okazaki...Tomoya... Ah! Here you are; you have a 10 AM with Hashimoto-san." She quickly picked up the receiver from a nearby phone and pressed a couple of buttons on the base. "Heya, boss; this is Ichika at Reception? Fine, thanks. Hey, I have an Okazaki Tomoya here for a 10 AM appointment? Yeah."

I shifted my weight from one foot to the other; based on her casual tone she seemed to be awfully familiar with her boss, not to mention that she seemed to have no problem being so casual with a client standing right in front of her. I started to wonder about the company's level of professionalism, though I considered the possibility that it was just my lack of experience in the industry.

"Okay, I'll send him up." The receptionist hung up the phone, then pointed to a set of elevators on the wall to my right. "Just take the elevator up to the fifteenth floor. Once you get out, there'll be a desk just outside to your right. Miharu's there, and she'll take you to Hashimoto-san's office."

"Got it," I acknowledged, sending her a grateful smile as she finally looked up at me. "Thanks."

Our eyes met and hers widened. "Whoa..."

"What is it?" I started to panic as I reached for my handkerchief. "Do I have something on my face?"

"Not unless you count absolutely gorgeous eyes," she replied, her lips spreading into a catlike grin as she leaned forward to rest her forearms on her desk.

"Ah...I see. Eh-heh heh..." I carefully made my way over to the elevator, making sure to keep her in my line of sight; oddly enough, I had started to feel like prey. "H-Have a good day."

"You, too," she replied while giving me an obvious once-over, grin still in place.

I repeatedly pressed the button for the elevator as I glanced back at her several times, only feeling safe once the doors had closed behind me.

***

"Okazaki-san..." Hashimoto Hiroshi greeted as he rose from his high-backed leather chair and bowed, a gesture which I quickly returned. "Welcome to our humble company. I hope you didn't have any trouble finding our offices." He gestured to a pair of high-back chairs on the other side of his desk. "Please, sit."

"Thank you, sir," I replied as I took the proffered seat. "No, I didn't have any trouble at all."

"Good, good..." he murmured as he reclaimed his seat. As he settled himself I took the brief opportunity to study him. He appeared to be in his late forties to early fifties, his hair mostly purple with a little bit of gray around the temples. The color looked natural, at least. "Now, before we begin," he said, interrupting my studies, "is it true that you are the manager for 'The Lords of Doo-Wop'?"