Hanahaki Disease

~❀~

Seoho and Geonhak were inseparable, so to say. They met when they were very young. Geonhak had just moved to the neighborhood and Seoho being the affable child he is, approached Geonhak a day after they moved. Geonhak was shy as a kid who also preferred to have his peace and quite, so Seoho kinda barging into his life was quite a change, a change that Geonhak had learn to accept as the years passed by.

After class Seoho would come by Geonhak's house so they could play a bit, do their homework or just Seoho chattering throughout the afternoon talking about science and other stuff. Geonhak was amazed at how Seoho could never run out of things to talk about.

They would banter of course, Seoho just know how to get on Geonhak's nerves and the older relishes on that fact. They would bicker all day and sometimes when Geonhak ran out of patience for the older's teasing, he would chase him but he never caught Seoho, he couldn't believe the agility the older has, as if he's a squirrel, also there's the fact that Seoho loved to climb trees, which strengthen the point that he might be a squirrel.

They would run around until they get so exhausted that they flop down and laugh at their stupidity, the bicker quickly forgotten. As they grew up, the two still stuck by each other sides however something has changed within Seoho, to be exact his feelings for his best friend.

At first Seoho thought that it was just a silly crush, considering how Geonhak suddenly became handsome, his face became well-defined since most of the baby fats are gone and his body well-built since he started working out also. But it wasn't just his appearance that made Seoho's feelings change. It was also the little things they did together that would never fail to bring butterflies in his stomach.

How he just melts inside hearing Geonhak's laugh. How he just feels lost when he stares into his eyes. Seoho loved everything about Geonhak. But he didn't give it much thought, blaming it to his teenage hormones and hoping this silly crush would just fade away. So while he was head over heels for his best friend, he didn't make it so obvious. He would still tease the younger, they would bicker and fall into the same pattern like before.

Seoho only realized how deep his feelings ran when Dongju came into the picture. Hwanwoong brought him over lunch one day, they were in the same year, and Geonhak was absolutely smitten over him. If Seoho was going to describe him in a word, it would be "puppy". A big giant puppy, a love sick puppy.

The way Seoho was head over heels with Geonhak, it was the same with Geonhak, only he has his eyes only on Dongju. It hurt really, every time he sees the hearts in Geonhak eyes whenever he and Dongju were together. He feels something clutch at his heart, sometimes he feels suffocated in their presence but Seoho doesn't let them know, he still continued to smile, eyes turning crescent even though he can feel the cracks in his heart.

But Seoho didn't have the heart to despise Dongju, it just wasn't him. Geonhak is happy whenever he is with Dongju so I guess it was okay, as long as Geonhak's happy, he will be happy. He'll try to be happy for them. It hurts now but it will fade away. Right?

Life continues on. It was still the same, there were classes, their constant bickering and teasing, the constant pain in his heart was new but Seoho had learned to hide it well. Geonhak and Dongju started going out for dates and Seoho would bury himself in his books or just watch some anime in order to forget the pain, even if it's short-lived. Then everything changed when Geonhak said that he and Dongju were dating. The younger was so excited to tell Seoho, he was trying to stop himself from jumping out of his seat while he told the older. Seoho didn't want to ruin the younger's happiness so he smiled and congratulated Geonhak even if his whole world had shattered inside. Geonhak didn't need to know about that.

That night as Seoho lay asleep in his bed, he was awoken up as a series of dry coughs racked his body. Seoho sat up in a panic, he felt suffocated. 'What the hell was happening to him?' Seoho thought fearfully. He felt suffocated like something was blocking his airway. He tried to take a breath but nothing was working.

Whatever was stuck in his throat wanted to get out, he rushed to the bathroom and grabbed the edges of the sink as he retched. After what felt like eternity, he was able to cough up the thing that has been stuck in his throat; there in the pristine white sink lay three thin red orange petals.

~❀~

How is it? Let me know your thoughts in the comment and don't forget to vote too.