Prologue

Yep I'm not writing a teaser and just jumping right in!

----- 

My name is Daniel Fenton. About a year ago, I was in an accident with my parents new 'Ghost Portal'. While it did activate the portal, it also gave me ghost powers. And for that entire year, I-I thought I was doing the right thing being the superhero. I thought, with Sam and Tucker by my side, I would be unstoppable. But, when things started escalating quickly, I had to start fighting my own battles. Sam and I broke up when she thought I loved fighting ghosts more than spending time with her, she never talked to me again. Tucker moved shortly after that, I don't know where. I felt alone, I felt broken without my friends. I knew I had to keep fighting the ghosts, though. I had to protect Amity Park, even if it was.. alone. Completely alone. Until.

I turned around, staring at the plexiglass doors closed on her.

"McKenzie!" I yelled running towards the doors, banging on them. I saw her smile a tired smile as the portal drained her energy. "McKenzie! I will get you out! Just hold on! Please!"

She put her hand on the door where my fist lay still balled up. The look in her eyes made me realize what she was going to say before she said it. I tried to fight back my tears, even as she talked the words I dreaded.

"It'll be ok, Danny." She closed her eyes, her smile growing.

"Stop it! Stop talking like that!  I promise I'll get you out!" I yelled.

"Don't let this keep you from being you. Take care of yourself, for my sake." She opened her eyes and looked into my green ghost eyes. 

"No! Stop it! Stop it!"

"I'll miss you Danny. But don't keep your thoughts on me, okay? Promise me that you'll still be you, always be you." She continued to look into my now red eyes from holding in tears, I had to stay strong.

"No! I won't promise that! Why should I? I'm going to get you out! I promised you I would never let anything hurt you! Never!" I yelled, partly to myself as well as her.

She was panting now, sweat dripping off her face. "I need you to promise me, Danny! I need you to promise because... because.. You need to say-"

"Don't say it!"

"-Goodbye, Danny." 

There was a flash. Tears were flowing now as I was flown back against the wall of the lab. I was turned back into my human form, my useless form, the form that couldn't do anything right.

When my vision cleared from spots and my ears had stopped ringing, I saw the blown up portal. I scrambled towards it.

"No! No!" I failed her.. "McKenzie!" I yelled. "McKenzie...."

"Goodbye, Danny." Those words still echo in my ears. She promised, we both promised that we would never say that word. But then again, I did promise I wouldn't let anything hurt her. I was useless there, and I'm still useless.

She is gone and I'm alone. 

But I guess I should really start from the beginning, shouldn't I?