Chapter 4 (The Party)

All the afternoon lessons were over, Matthew was already panicking. He'd never given anything to girls. Only a hug to his mother but even then, he wasn't even ready too. He'd promised himself that no girl would make him fall in that trap.

The bell rang, bringing him back to reality. He looked around and spotted her seated in her desk, sad and confused. For a second, he felt some pity... or was this love? He cautiously walked towards her, immediately she saw him, she stood up smiling.

That must a fake smile!

"Matthew," she acted so glad that it made me confused,

"come," she got hold of his hand and pulled him outside class. He followed like a sheep.

                          ***

I watched the duo walk towards the blocks of classes. Inside me, I felt jealous even though I really didn't like fortune.

"Isaac, let's follow them," I tagged Isaac who wasn't even looking at them. He clearly didn't care.

Slowly and carefully, we walked behind them across the playground into the block of classes and made a step inside...

                       ***

Matthew was tensing, he didn't know what she was going to do to him. Tell him to love her? No! He couldn't. But Fortune just looked so innocent to say such a thing. Every time he was thinking about other impossible things, her attitude proved him so wrong.

Once they got into the painted 'class 2' at the door, they were met by huge surprise:

"Surprise!" The small crowd of people shouted.

She blushed once she knew what was going on. Matthew was also shy. He couldn't stand the watch so he shyly mixed up with the crowd. Fortune and her group of 'first class friends' huddled on the table that held her cake. It was her birthday! Everyone was singing her a birthday song. Her happiness was so much you could see it through her eyes.

"Hey, Matthew," a girl called her from his left, "I like how handsome you are." She said cheekily.

Matthew blushed.

"I really like you," another girl who was just there came into the scene.

What was he gonna do? They started coming close, not afraid of touching his hands and head.

                       ***

We had already made our way through the door and now we were among the crowd. I couldn't see the cake and I was grateful I had come. I was about to forget what we had come to do when caught the sight.

Wait, is that Matthew, Stacy and Monicah? I don't know what made me jealous but how couldn't I stop seeing him with girls every time?

                       ***

Fortune blew the candles and in seconds almost immediately remembered that Matthew was not there with her. She went around and looked for him among the crowd. She came back with him dragging him by his sweater.

Fortune took the knife and stabbed the cake mercilessly in ecstasy.

It was now time to give the cake to the people. It was obvious that she was going to do it by giving the most important people in the room. So Matthew was so tense when every one shifted his gaze towards Fortune and him.

"Open up," she said holding the fork to him.

As soon as he ate the cake. Everyone screamed in ecstasy. Like they were happy for them. Then everything slowly dawned to Matthew that he was the most important in the room. But he still couldn't stand one more stare.

"I need to go home," he told Fortune secretly while the others made noise.

"Sure, let's go I don't think they will even really need me after this," she said and even took his arm and walked out.

And they were heading towards the lonely grey gate. Everyone had already gone home. They crossed the gate into the tarmac road and they both turned left and kept a slow pace.

"So, Matthew, do you ever want to be with me?" Fortune asked innocently.

"Sometimes, sometimes I really want to talk to you," Matthew confessed.

"Do you know what I learnt this is?" She asked.

"Hmm, friendship?" I acted foolish.

"Well, that is not a bad guess,"

There was an eerie silence for some moments and Fortune had not got the answer she wanted. She had wanted given up. All he thought was friendship? But she really just had to tell him.

She stopped and Matthew also stopped. She looked at him with her black craving eyes ready to tell him everything.

"Matthew," she started, "I have this feeling in me that I know is more than friendship. I know I love you Matthew, but ... But I don't know how to show you how I do."

All this time she had come closer. And now she was on his face looking into his innocent eyes. She slowly reached for his lips and kissed them. Matthews heart beat went crazy. His first kiss!

"I really want to know if you really love me too," she said and went away. Matthew stood right where he was left, not ready to move.

                           ***

Matthew went home, he was too happy today. His mother was the first to notice. He kept dancing and skipping all his way through the small house. Although it looked obvious no one even really cared. That evening he met with Clifford, his best friend and he didn't even remember that he told him anything but Clifford had heard it.

Homework, supper then sleep. Waiting for the other day to arrive. He slept well.

_________________

Sorry readers, it has been quite a bad few months, that's why I did not update. Keep reading and voting ;^)