Henri's Log: #9

Jailbreak

            Loki met my eyes and smirked, blue eyes alight with mischief. A gold-green light swept over his body and the prisoner uniform was gone replaced with a black and green leather outfit with gold details. His black hair was slicked back and gathered in neat curls at the base of his neck. His smile grew larger, almost relieved to look like himself again, to have his magic back.
             And I felt like I was looking at a new man. He did not disappoint.
             Returning the grin, I turned and fired my second bullet into the domed camera above us. "What's the plan?" Loki asked.
             "Garage is one floor down. We get to my car, take off to my place, and then go underground,"
             "Going underground isn't exactly my style but alright,"
             "One more thing," I pointed my gun toward the ceiling and clicked the trigger to show him the mag was now empty, "We don't kill anyone."
             "I can't promise anything," Loki said, darkly.
             I tossed the gun to the floor, "Try."
             I pulled out two night night guns, thrusting one into Loki's hands. As I did, the door to the hallway banged open and two agents in all black and carrying guns stormed in. Without hesitation I shot them both in the head with my pistol and they dropped, unconscious. Loki strode out the cell door, slowly and with a spring in his step as if he was savoring freedom. I followed and when we stood over the unconscious guards, I met his eyes.
             Are you thinking what I'm thinking?
             Loki nodded.

             "All units we have a breech in the high security cell. I repeat, Loki is out," Natasha was yelling into her com, "Keep your eyes peeled. He could be anybody now."
              As she ran, she crashed into my shoulder. Muttering a quick, "Sorry," she ran on without a second glance.
              "This is awesome," I whispered once she was out of earshot, looking down at myself. I wore the all black outfit of one of the guards who tried to stop us. That is, I wore his whole body. It was a strange sensation. I still felt like me, in fact I could vaguely still feel my lab coat flapping around my knees. But I could also feel the assault rifle I was gripping. "Hey, does this thing actually fire?" I asked the guard next to me.
              "Of course it does, do you think me an amateur?" he answered with a strangers voice, but there were still Loki's inflections and vocabulary, not to mention, his eyes, while now brown, shown with mischief.
              We reached the stairwell to the garage without too much trouble. Once the coast was clear, Loki turned me back into myself and I pressed my palm on the scanner. A moment later it flashed red and gave a few short beeps.
               "Shit,"
               "What's wrong?"
               "They already erased my hand print from the system. We're trapped," then, an idea hit. Not a good one though, "I still have my keycard from before I got promoted. It's not ID specific so it should work."
               "Great. Where is it?"
               I winced, "In my purse...in the lab."
               The green-gold glow enveloped me for a moment and I was the male agent again. "Go, I'll be circling this floor. Meet me back here," Loki said.
                "Right,"
                We took off in opposite directions.

                The entrance to the lab was heralded by a long black scorch mark on the floor and crawling up the walls. The door lay a few feet from where it was blown from his hinges and the chair I'd used to trap my friends inside was split in two. The lab appeared empty. I set my rifle on an empty table and crossed to where my purse hung on it's hook.
                I was halfway across the room when my body glowed again. "What the—?!"
                I looked down to see I was back to myself, labcoat, reading glasses, and all. A cold wave of panic swept over me, "Loki!"
                I turned to run to him, but a voice behind me stopped me in my tracks along with the click of a gun.
                "I told you not to do anything stupid!"