Brief Plot Description

PREFACE- This is a vague description of the plot and the characters, more details will come later.
⚠️TW- descriptions of death/violence⚠️

Feel free to ask any questions that you may have, I'll do my best to answer them!

For starters, these are some terms that should be defined:

Dead- Someone who died before 18 under "unfair means" (their death was unnatural and unwarranted). They're basically ghosts, and they remain ghosts until they're revived or they turn 18. Deads do have the ability to possess living beings (animals and humans), but doing so has a huge physical toll on their body and can be very risky to them.

Necromancer- Someone who can revive deads. Necromancy (and channeling) isn't a learned skill, it's an ability gained at birth, though it can be improved through practice.

Channelers- Someone who can see deads but wasn't born as a necromancer, more commonly called seers.

Because of the way the afterlife works here, kids and teens who died young get a second chance at life, given through the form of purgatory. Their only options to escape purgatory are resurrection or aging out of it, turning 18 marks their official deaths (they'll be sent to the afterlife) and being resurrected lets them continue with their normal lives.

Now that that's out of the way, here's a brief description of the plot.

This story is about dead teens trying to get brought back to life before they turn 18. Our protagonist is a dead kid named Milo, who died on Halloween after he was accidently shot by a robber. He's 17 at the beginning of the story, and he only has a few months before he's officially "dead".

After he's killed, he wakes up to two other deads, Cam and August. They end up taking pity on Milo and they decide to help him. Essentially, their part of the story revolves around Cam and August teaching Milo how to navigate purgatory and their joint struggle to find a necromancer willing to bring them back to life.

Meanwhile, a couple necromancers are head-to-head, both of them competing to get to Milo, Cam and August first. The social world of necromancers is very competitive, it's honestly just a mess of people craving status and the occasional person just trying to help deads. Power dynamics and competitive atmospheres are very common here. There's also the occasional cult but don't worry about that ;) It's worth mentioning that there's a council called the NSCA (necromancer-seer coalition) that exists to keep necromancers in check- Their job is to regulate which deads get revived and which one don't, since bending the laws of death is very taboo.

Unfortunately, that's about all I can say about the plot at the moment, I want to keep it fairly under wraps for now since I'm still in the process of developing it and I want to keep some stuff under wraps in this story. Updates will be posted whenever I have something to announce, so be sure to watch out for them! More detailed descriptions of the characters and lore are on the next chapters :)

Thanks for reading <3