epilogue

"What do I do?" Laci and Cash's thirteen year old son James asked. He had been wanting to talk to the girl across the street for about a week and couldn't get the courage to do so.

Laci and Cash ended up getting married fifteen years ago. They moved into a house in the next town over from where they grew up. They were now getting ready for a start of the summer party in their humble home.

James, named after Cash's dad, and the girl across the street, named Luna, have lived across from each other their whole lives and according to James there are some unresolved feelings between the two of them.

"Just go talk to her, what's the worse that could happen?" Laci told her son, ruffling his brown hair. He huffed and Cash chuckled.

"Here's a tip that worked for your mother and me," Cash got close to James' face before continuing. "Get the mail from her mailbox and pretend like it showed up at your doorstep by accident." Cash said, looking at his wife who was wearing a smile and shaking her head, arms crossed.

"Will that really work?" James asked, hope in his bright blue eyes as he looked between his parents.

"Every time," his dad spoke, snaking an arm around Laci's waist.

James wasted no time moving his sneaker clad feet out the front door, brushing right past Faith in the process. She walked into the house, laptop in her hand.

"What's up my favorite couple?" She yelled, walking through the door. Faith was single and more like the cool aunt for James and his siblings even though she wasn't genetically related to Laci.

That's right, James and his siblings.

"Sh, you're going to wake Abigail," Laci held a finger to her lips and gesture upstairs where her four year old daughter--- and goddaughter of Faith--- was taking a nap.

"Faith, always a pleasure," Cash wrapped Faith in a hug before letting Laci do the same with their childhood friend.

"What's with the laptop?" Laci should know why Faith's got a laptop with her at all times by this point by chose to ask the question anyways.

"Yeah, didn't you finish our story years ago?" Cash asked as Faith set up her laptop on the countertop.

"Yes, but I had to make that up and now I can update it," Faith rolled her eyes as if the answer was obvious.

"Wattpad's still a thing? It's been a while," Laci asked and Faith nodded.

"There's still many lonely single people out there craving fanfiction between characters in love," Faith explains as someone knocks on the door.

"Hey, Baker house!" Sadie's voice rings through the hallway and Laci wraps her sister in a hug.

"We brought wine," Sadie's boyfriend called out, holding up the bottled liquid. They had been doing very well in their relationship for about a year. Josh knew clearly about Sadie's sexuality and was completely supportive. Daniel and Sadie had actually been in a stable relationship through their high school years but ended their relationship in a classic story of going to different colleges.

Another knock on the door forced Laci to stop her conversation with her sister. She turned the handle to see a face she had grown to hate many years ago, but times have changed because there stood Hudson.

"Thanks for coming," Laci pulled Hudson in for a hug and he returned the embrace. Hudson was actually sent to a boarding school in Iowa the year after him and Laci ended things.

Guess karma's a bitch.

But, he was in a much better place now, with everyone. Him and Faith were getting closer, opening up to each other more. She even calls Hudson her brother now, leaving the 'step' part out of it.

"Everyone," Hudson announced, pulling someone by the hand into the house, who proudly waved his free hand. "Everyone meet Ty, my fiancé."

Laci's mouth fell open in shock, as she hadn't seen the boy, Ty, in fifteen years. Since the senior dance in the boys locker room to be exact.

Faith squealed, pulling her brother and Ty into a hug before Cash went over and patted Hudson's back, congratulating him.

Next to enter the house was Alexa, followed by Maverick and his girlfriend Cailee within a few minutes. Maverick had his guitar in one hand as he hugged his younger brother with his other free arm.

"What's with the guitar?" Laci asked and everyone murmured in question. Mav looked between his brother and everyone else.

"I thought Cash and I could play one more time, for old times sake?" Mav nudged his brothers arm and Cash finally agreed, causing everyone to cheer. Laci had gone to get Abigail while Cash grabbed his dusty guitar from the basement. The two boys set up in the backyard while everyone stood around.

"She got a good thing going
Got all these dudes getting out of their minds
Oh yeah she bad and she know it
Got everybody always spending my time."

Maverick sang and let Cash take over, his eyes on Laci.

"Yeah she's spending my time
Yell in my head, on my mind
We're doing some things
Some things her mama don't like."

"She got a good thing going
Make me turn my head when she walk in the room."

Both boys sang this time and Laci turned her head when the backyard gate creaked. She watched as James walked onto the grass, hand in hand with Luna. Laci smiled to herself before turning back to her husband, who shot her a wink in which she blushed back.

This was all Laci Baker needed in her life, surrounded by the people she loved. Abigail giggled in her hands Laci let her daughter walk around on the grass.

When the song ended, everyone went back to mingling with each other. Faith had gone back inside to get a drink and Laci followed her.

"Having a good time?" Laci asked her friend. Faith took a sip of her shirley temple before nodding.

"It's funny watching my brother flirt with his fiancé," Faith spoke and both girls laughed. "Look at that," Faith pointed out the window where Cash was trying to teach Abigail how to play the guitar.

"You're married to that man right there," Faith spoke again, her voice cracking.

"Yeah, I am," Laci watched the man she loved take his hands in his daughter's small ones, placing them on the large guitar.

"Remember when you two were just neighbors?" Faith asked, taking another sip of her drink and Laci laughed, shaking her head.

"Yeah, I remember."