Chapter 9: Deep, Dark, Crystal Cave

Hey guy 

didn't expect people to actually read this story. Just noticed 28 people have read this soooooooooo guess is time to update

The teams that had managed to take out their opponent teams before the time limit were all gathered in a largeroom with rows of clay chairs. When Naruto and his team arrived, only one other team from Amegakure was there. 

Their eyes were bloodshot as they glared at team Kakashi, and in wordless agreement, they chose seats at theopposite end of the room.As the minutes passed, the remaining teams came trickling in, each looking increasingly more bedraggled. With tenminutes left on the clock, he noticed the Konoha rookies coming in. Despite how long it had taken them, they did notseem particularly worn down and walked in with confident demeanors.

 Rai noticed as well, and beckoning for Mayu and Naruto to follow him, he made his way over to the girl with buns inher hair. "If it isn't Tenten!"The girl perked up at her name, but when she saw Rai, her face fell. "Oh...it's you.""It's been a while," said Rai, ignoring her lack of enthusiasm. Naruto got the impression that this was not an unusualdynamic for them and wondered whether something had happened in their past. "This is Tenten, guys. These are myteammates, Mayu and Naruto."Mayu shyly smiled at them."This is Hyūga Neji and Rock Lee," replied Tenten dutifully, gesturing to the two boys besides her. The one with theclear eyes had to be the Hyūga, meaning the one with the bushy eyebrows and the martial arts belt around his waistwas Rock Lee."Nice to meet you! I am Rock Lee," said Lee, with a flashing grin and a thumbs-up. He seemed reasonably friendly,and hadn't reacted at all to Naruto's countenance the way other villagers did. On the other hand, Naruto had neverseen him before, so it was possible that the boy was one of the war orphans who'd kept to the orphanage.

"You're Kakashi's team, aren't you?" said Neji, glancing at them coolly.Lee visibly perked up. "What?! So you are the pupils of Gai-sensei's eternal rival?! You will make worthy opponentsthen!""Is Gai your team leader?" asked Mayu."Yes," answered Tenten, with a warmer smile for the other girl. "You guys must be the reason why Gai-sensei wantedus to take the exam this year as rookies."Rai raised an eyebrow. "I've never heard of Gai though. Are you sure he and Kakashi-sensei are rivals?"Browse Just In Community Forum Betas Story SearchAnime/Manga  Naruto +  -    "Are you sure you have never heard of him?!" said Lee, his already circular eyes growing even wider than Naruto hadthought possible.

 "He is the strongest jōnin in Konoha, with a record of – ""You're Uzumaki Naruto?" interrupted Neji. The whole time, Naruto noted, his pale gaze had not wavered from him."The one who graduated from the Academy two years early?"Naruto blinked; he'd never heard anyone refer to him as such. "That's right," he said. 

He's our local genius, the kind born only once a generation, yadda yadda," said Rai, throwing an arm around Naruto.With a sly smile, he added, "Kinda like you Hyūga, I'd say.""A genius?" echoed Lee; the words appeared to have struck a chord with him. "I'd like to challenge you to a fightsometime, then."At that, Naruto turned towards Lee, taken aback. "This probably isn't the best venue for a fight," he said mildly."You'll have to wait for a later test for an opportunity."Neji's eyes narrowed. "You say that like you expect to win.

"That hadn't been Naruto's intention, but thinking about it, he supposed it was true."As if Naruto would lose to some rookies like you," scoffed Rai. 

With that, it seemed Tenten had had enough, for she seized her teammates firmly by the arms. "Will you drop italready? Let's go, guys."Although Lee allowed himself to be dragged away, Neji brushed off Tenten's hand. Nonetheless, with another hardlook in their direction, he left as well."You could've been a bit more friendly, Rai," said Mayu, watching them walk away.Rai shrugged. "They were being too cocky for a bunch of rookies."