five.

All of the counselors sat with Coach Jeff for a staff meeting the next morning. Some of them would be going with him on the retreat today, and he wanted to make sure the rest of them were prepared for his absence.

"Remember, I'll have my radio on if there is any real emergency." He said. "There's also the phone in the lounge if you need 911."

"911? Jesus Christ, Jeff." Shawn had already had two paper cups of coffee, but he still yawned loudly.

"You have to be prepared for anything. Didn't I teach you that?"

"I mean...you taught me how to roll a kickball."

"Okay, Coach." Gwen, who didn't look sleepy at all, nodded firmly. She was going to be in charge while he was gone.

"The rest of you, stick to the schedules. Everyone out of the lake before dark, don't let anyone too far out of your sights." He said. "—And no one leaves the cabins after lights out."

Camila nodded, purposely avoiding Shawn's gaze. As kids, the retreat nights were prime for sneaking out, and she never felt worried. She always knew they wouldn't really be in that much trouble if they were caught.

But it was different now. They were adults and this was their job. Camila was half tempted to call it off, but she knew she wouldn't. Just like as kids, the prospect of sneaking off together was just so exciting.

And she was dying to know what it was he wanted to show her.

Connor and Gwen sat with them again at breakfast, meaning Camila and Shawn couldn't do much more than smile at each other to confirm their plans. Camila was pretty sure Shawn could trust Connor, but anyone else was out of the question.

After breakfast, Camila walked with Connor to the stables, the campers trailing excitedly behind. Down another way, Camila could see Coach Jeff leading all the kids out on their retreat.

"Shawn said he showed you some of our stuff last night?" Connor said.

"Yeah, it's really good. I really like that sound."

"I keep telling him we should redo all our demos with him singing." He chuckled. "But, he insists I sing the ones I wrote, even though...you know..."

"What?"

"Come on," He glanced at her. "Shawn is ten times better than me. It's so obvious. I'm not even mad, I wanna stick to bass. I just wish he'd realize we'd get signed way faster if his voice was on all the tracks. He sounds like a freaking angel."

"He does, doesn't he?" Camila sighed and Connor laughed.

At the stables, another cabin of girls were already waiting. Their counselor was someone Camila had only met once. Heather had long brown hair and had already been here a few years. She smiled and waved and Camila waved back.

They leaned against the fence as the girls filed through the gate into the field. Connor went into the stables and came back out, leading a large horse by the reins. Everyone gasped and a few girls actually stepped back in fear.

"Don't worry," Connor smiled. "Ajax is very friendly, and wouldn't hurt you. Now, how many of you have horse patches?"

Some of the girls raised their hands. Connor got the ones with patches to help him explain to the others the proper way to brush and feed them, even getting some to demonstrate. Camila was sort of glad he was doing everything, so that she could let her mind wander for a bit.

She and Heather talked a bit about work, sharing small good-natured complaints about the food and whether or not they were excited to go on their respective retreats. It was dawning on Camila now that her and Shawn's cabins actually would go together now. That was something else to look forward to.