Chapter 17 - The Blue Dress

When I came down to the dining hall (in a TARDIS blue dress, intricate and somewhat puffy, my hair loose except for some from the front, tied in the back, which I thought looked nice) I saw the Doctor sitting across from the queen. I didn't see Rose yet, though. She must be having trouble with the dress.

I curtsied, and the Doctor got up to pull out my chair. As soon as I sat, he pushed in my chair and replaced himself in his seat.

While the others were in conversation, I was listening for Rose, but what I heard wasn't Rose, but the sound of bodies falling. No one else seemed to hear it -- I barely did and I have hightened senses. I tried my best to ignore it, despite wanting to shoot up from my seat.

Suddenly, I heard muffled screams, yet again barely audible.I stayed frozen, but turned when I heard the door.

"You companion begs an apology, Doctor. Her clothing has somewhat delayed her." Mr.Scowl said. I knew that was a big bag of lies. I forced myself to stay in my seat and not punch this guy.

'Oh, that's all right. Save her a wee bit of ham." The Doctor answered quickly.

"The feral child could probably eat it raw." The queen said. I was slowly starting to like her less and less as she became more rude as we progressed through the night.

"Very wise, ma'am, very witty." The guard captain gave what I detected as a nervous laugh, not genuine. He was just being nice.

"Slightly witty, perhaps. I know you rarely get the chance to dine with me, Captain, but don't get too excited. I shall contain my wit in case I do you further injury." Okay, I liked this queen again, very sassy.

"Yes ma'am." The Captain said, looking down at his plate. 

"Besides, we're all waiting on Sir Robert. He promised us a tale of nightmares." The Doctor tried using a 'scary' tone when he faced Sir Robert to his right, and I look across to Sir Robert from the Doctor's left.

"Since my husband's death, I find myself with more of a taste for supernatural fiction." The queen informed us, and I sat with my back flat against the seat, my feet positioned to jump up if need be.

"You must miss him." I spoke up for the first time in a while, using a Scottish accent. This being the second time I had said anything to the queen. They turned to me.

"Very much." The queen got their attention back by talking. "Oh, completely." She looks sad, and I almost regret talking, but then she gives a smile. "And that's the charm of a ghost story, isn't it? Not the scares and chills -- That's just for children -- But the...Hope of some contact with the great beyond. We all want some message from that place. It's the creator's greatest mystery that we are allowed no such consolation. The dead stay silent. And we must wait." I almost told her the'Great Beyond' was just darkness, and that some do come back. She sighed. "Come. Begin your tale, Sir Robert There's a chill in the air. The wind is howling through the eaves. Tell us of monsters."

I was listening with my mind again, and I felt Rose's mind enter the cellar -- Where I felt the others were. I tried my best not to tell the Doctor.

'The story goes back 300 years. Every full moon, the howling through the valley. The next morning, livestock is found, ripped apart and de--devoured." Sir Robert told us, clearly frightened. But I knew he wasn't scared by this tale.

"Oh, tales like this just disguise the work of thieves. Steal a sheep and blame a wolf, simple as that." Captain spoke up, the queen looking like she was going to slap him herself.

"But sometimes, a child goes missing. Once in a generation, a boy will vanish from his homestead." Sir Robert continued on with his story.

"Are there descriptions of the creature?" The Doctor asked him, wondering if maybe this were and alien.