The Go About

Chris Wood as Ryan

It was hard trying to sleep last night. Knowing that Adam was all alone somewhere trying to piece together his life was next to unbearable. I decided that I couldn't keep this to myself and do nothing. I have to tell everybody else and try to fight it. "Hey," Jade greeted me. I yawned hi back, I think, I was kinda half asleep at my locker. "Stay up late did we? Let me guess you and Adam were up late discussing the finer points of porn and spray cheese," Jade smiled. If only she knew I wished that's what would have went down last night. "Jade, I think there's something I need to tell you," I started. Jade's smile faded. She now had a serious expression on her face. "What? Don't tell me you and Adam-" "Jade, no. But you're right, it is about Adam," I replied. "Then what?" Jade asked. "Well-" "Hey B, Jade. Was up?" Alex greeted us. "Hey Alex," Jade replied. "Say man, what was up with you hanging up on me last night? Thought we were supposed to be getting Gino to talk," Alex said. "Something came up," I replied, off-handedly. "And it was the perfect plan too. I mean all we have to do is call Gino and you two talk while I stayed on the other end," Alex continued. "Wait a second, you guys were gonna have Gino tell you stuff without him knowing you were there?" Jade replied shoving Alex. "Hey, you should see the way Gino's been acting. It's not our fault," Alex replied. Jade and Alex began to go back and forward on the morals of phone conversation. Apparently Alex hadn't stayed on the line after I told Gino I'd call him back. Otherwise he'd have known something came up with Adam. "Brandon, we need to talk," Gino said surprising me out of nowhere. "Jade, tell me you saw Top Model last night. I missed it," Krystal said, surprising Jade. "Hey, Alex man, where's Adam?" Ryan asked walking up with Michelle. "Adam! That's just who I wanted to talk to you about," Gino said. Once everybody heard the name "Adam," it seemed their own conversations didn't matter even half as much. "Gino, I told you," I started, through my teeth. "Look I'm not normally a jealous person, but this has gotta stop. I mean you and Adam see each other more than all of the rest of us combined. It's just really annoying," Gino spoke. Michelle agreed. Finally, somebody else was beginning to get as fed up with Brandon as she had been all along. "Look Gino, I really don't think you want to get into this right now," I said. "Really? Cause the way I see it, Adam ain't around. Which means it's the perfect time. At least this way I know I have your attention," Gino replied. "Gino, I'm not exactly sure what's bugging you," "Of course you aren't. With Adam, you don't know your right from your left foot," Gino taunted. Ugh. This had to stop. The same bullshit I'd had to hear for two weeks. It was all just so ridiculous at this point. "Gino, you wanna know where Adam is? Right now?" I asked, anger in my voice. Gino didn't too much care all that much. To him, Brandon was just once again proving his point. But everyone else seemed thoroughly interested. "It must have something to do with whatever the hell that important news he had to tell you was right?" Gino asked sardonically. "Yeah, it does," I replied. "Well. Where is he then? Permanent leave?" Gino asked. "Yeah, he is" I replied. "What?" Michelle asked. I turned to face everyone else. "Adam's moving to Florida on Friday," I told them. Everyone grew quieter than they already were. "He told me yesterday," I added. Michelle got so close to me she was practically in my face. "Listen to me, I know you and Adam are close. Always telling jokes and shit-" "I'm not joking. Believe me, I wouldn't lie when it comes to something like this. "I don't believe you. I'm his girlfriend. Adam would have told me first," Michelle said. "Or me, I'm his best friend," Ryan added. "Look, I had no idea you all didn't know. I don't know why he only told me. I just know that he did, and he's gone," I replied. "Gone? What do you mean gone? You said he's leaving on Friday," Michelle said, in a distant yet still angry voice. "That's the thing. Adam doesn't want to go to Florida. He ran off when I tried to tell him that I could help and I don't know where he went," I replied. "Oh my god," Michelle whispered. "You don't think he'd try to kill himself do you?" Krystal asked. "Adam's not a punk. I know my best friend," Ryan said. "So if you know your best friend, does that mean you have any idea where he might be?" I asked. Ryan didn't answer. The bell rang, and the kids all around us we noticed were gone. Nobody moved. Ryan looked over at Michelle. "Hey," he said putting his hand on her shoulder. "I have to go to class," Michelle said, near tears. All of us watched her walk off. Ryan went after her. Krystal, Jade, Gino, and Alex stared at me. "I'm gonna go look for him," I said determinedly, turning around. "You don't even know where to start. Besides we'd be crucifixed if we skipped again," Alex said. Adam and I had skipped a lot. More than Alex and I had. But the risk was worth it. "I don't care. I have to go," I said taking off down the hallway. Alex shrugged at Jade and followed me. Jade and Krystal gave each other a look. "Should we go?" Krystal asked. "I can't. I'm taking my S.A.T preliminary test next period," Jade said, sympathy in her voice. "But we can go after school right?" Krystal asked. "Of course. Come on," Jade said, as she and Krystal walked off. Gino stood in the empty hallway thinking. His wish would have been for Adam just not to exists. But he realized something just now. All this grief he'd been giving Brandon over Adam wasn't gonna help get him what he wanted in any way. What he wanted was for Brandon to be happy, and he wasn't gonna be happy if he kept interfering in his plans with Adam. He had to give it up. Brandon and Adam were the ones who were better together. And if he wanted to see Brandon happy, he had to make that happen.