Chapter 6: party

"A party? In the woods outside Konoha? You guys are crazy." Mai jeered as she tossed a kunai lazily at a tree.

Naruto and Mai found themselves training alone and decided to take a break together. Mai was suppressing heavy emotions, as today was her dead sisters birthday.

"The academy is so stressful and we want to do something fun. We know you aren't the type, but what do you say? Wanna come?" Naruto asked grinning widely.

"I don't know. Ino got mad at me the other day." Mai said sadly, disregarding Naruto's claim she isn't the type to have fun.

"Ino and Sakura argue allll the time. But they always seem to ignore it."

She thought for a moment before a smile played on her lips. "Okay. Fine. When is it?"

Naruto smirked. "Tonight, six o'clock.

Mai nodded. She thought that maybe instead of sulking all day that this party would cheer her up a bit.

A memory sparked in her mind, causing Mai to smile warmly remembering Maiko's 12th birthday.

"Happy birthday big sister! Itachi and Sasuke are still coming, right?" Mai asked tugging impatiently on her sisters sleeve.

Maiko formed a light smile upon hearing Itachi's name. "Yes."

Mai furrowed her eyebrows as she observed her sisters girly behavior. "You like Itachi, don't you sissy!"

Maiko's cheeks turned a light crimson red as she itched the back of her head. "Well, actually, we are kind of a thing."

The younger Masaki's jaw dropped to the floor. "Wow! So you two like... kiss." she cringed as she spoke.

Maiko chuckled and ruffled her hand through her young sister's shoulder length cobalt blue hair. Mai frowned and pushed her sisters hand off from her head so she couldn't mess it up anymore.

A knock at the door alarmed both sisters as they got excited for whoever it could be. The older Masaki hesitantly opened the door to reveal Itachi with Sasuke clinging onto him.

"Sasuke!" The six year old beamed.

The younger Uchiha let go of his older brother and ran towards Mai enveloping her into a quick hug.

Mai watched as her sisters face fell. "So, you're really doing it?"

"I have to."

"...And a ton of us will be there! Hello? Mai?" Naruto's loud voice broke Mai out of the flashback.

"Yes, alright!" She replied without knowing what Naruto had been going on about.

-

As Mai walked back to her house after a full day of training alone, she stumbled upon Ino walking the opposite way. A part of her wanted to talk to her friend and apologize even though she didn't do a thing wrong. But, being the bigger person was what she would have to do.

"Ino!"

The blonde raised an eyebrow as she crossed her arms. "Did you hear about the party?"

Mai was confused because of Ino's behavior, but she shrugged it off. "Yeah. Are you going?"

"I am. I will be at your house a half hour before so we can walk together." Ino demanded, not letting Mai reply as she walked away.

Mai huffed but continued on home. She didn't have the patience to argue with her friends, so if Ino randomly was being nice again, she'd accept it.