Before We Start, A Secret of Mine

The sad part is that I wasn't even born into the Mage Tribe. I was alone, on the road, and helpless. It took me until I was 14, four years after I ran away from my home village, to just realize that I could use magic. And two more to get used to them. I didn't know where it came from, my parents were normal for all I know. One day, I was practicing on a tree, trying to turn it into a deer with diamond antlers, like the story my mom used to tell me about the Deer of Dreams. I know it was a big step, but I felt like I had mastered my powers. I closed my eyes, and held out my hand. I whispered to myself, hoping for it to work. Soon, I feel a cool gust of wind chill my outstretched hand. My eyes slowly open, only to see a light blue vapor, come out and surround the tree, spinning so fast it didn't look like it was moving at all. I was so proud of myself for pulling it off, I couldn't believe I was capable of bringing something from my very childhood to life. But, I had but a few seconds to rejoice before it started happening.

        The blue smoke turned an eerie mix of red and black, the wind picked up and took the scarf from around my neck. I turned my head only to see it flying into a dark, black sky that was a beautiful white just seconds ago. A bright flash of lightening almost blinded me, soon following, a deafening crack of thunder shook the ground and brought me to my knees. A tree above me started crunching, and shifting. And right beore my eyes, a tree began to fall, straight towards me. I got up off the ground and ran for my life.

        The tree made a loud crash, followed my the rustling of leaves. It sent a gust of wind, even stronger than the wind that was tugging at my whole body. Before I knew it, I was pushed forward, and onto my knees again. I'm surprised it took me so long to remeber the revearsal spell. I yelled a series of Latin words that I barely knew the meaning of, and the wind died down. The sky returned to a glorious blue, and the smoke on the tree disapeared. Only then did I look back down to where the tree I struck was, and I saw a carved wolf, chizzled by my horrible excuse for magic, down to the very last detail. I looked over the carving, legs, to stomache, to neck. When I reached it's eyes, they were none other than completely red, with flames burning inside them. I remember this very distinctly, because this was when I realized just what exactly I could do. Now, you may continue reading my story.