Another Member to Kill For

Dad, Jaymon and I were headed down the ash covered road. It was quiet. At least now we knew where we were going, and that when we got there, what we were going to take. Dad kept glancing back at Jaymon and I, then looking around. I wonder if he knows that we have gone 16 years without him, and we can defend ourselves. At that point, Jaymon decided he needed to break the silence.

        "So, what have you been doing all these years?" he said, "Besides trying to get whatever it is you want back from the castle back." dad kept walking and looking. This was kind of breaking my heart. And that never happens to me.

        "I'm sure he has been looking after us himself." I said, "Anyways. What is it you want from the castle?" dad still kept walking. Why was he ignoring us.

        "Dad?" Jaymon asked. Dad stopped walking, and we waited in silence. I heard faint grunting and tapping. Following one of the taps I heard a rumbling laugh and dad started to sneak forward.

        "What is that?" I asked. Dad and Jaymon both looked at me.

        "What do you think?" Jaymon said, "Just stay here." he began to stand up but I grabbed his shoulder and pulled him back down. I am sick of being the one they need to protect. Did they not hear what I did about Charles?

        "Hey!" I whispered loudly, "I don't need you to be my body guard, okay? Obviously I can fend for myself." I pointed behind us, referencing to Charles. Jaymon looked at me and nodded. We stood up and followed dad to a large peice of wood leaning against a burned house, and crouched behind it. As I peaked over to edge, I saw two large, green orcs. They had fur for clothes, and were about two feet taller than me. They were stabbing their spears into the ground and laughing, their huge underbites bouncing with every step. I looked a little further to see a small bunny frantically running around, avoiding the spears that were blocking it's path.

        "Stop it!" I heard it yell, "Help!" dad gasped at the sight and looked back at Jaymon and I.

        "I am so sorry," he said, "but I have to help Shard." and with that, he blew one of the orcs away as the bunny turned into a wolf. It must have been dad's pet. The other orc ran to dad, ready to swing the wooden club covered in spikes, into dad's head. Dad was paying too much attention so the wolf and the other orc, that he didn't notice it running at him. I tried to get up and help, but Jaymon pulled me back down. I looked at him and said nothing, then got up and ran to dad's side. Jaymon followed.

        "Get away!" dad yelled, "Now!" but I stayed next to him, and Jaymon stayed next to me. I blew the club out of the second orc's hand and Jaymon threw him on top of the other one. Jaymon and I high fived and I began to walk towards the orcs. I turned back around to see if he was following, but all I saw was yet another orc sprinting towards him.

        "Jaymon!" I yelled, and ran to him. The orc had his club above his head, ready. We reached Jaymon at the same time. Forgetting to use my magic in the fear of him be clubbed in the head, I held up my arms and closed my eyes. I wasn't hit yet, and everything was silent. I felt a heavy weight in my hands. When I opened my eyes, the orc was yards away. I looked down to find out what I was carrying, and I saw a sword. It was about up to my side with a handle that had a sparkling teel blue and white liquid inside it. The two colors were swirled together beautifully. I looked up to see the orc running towards me again. Realizing that I had a sword in my hands, I swung as hard as I could, slicing the orc in half. After about two minutes of thinking about what I just did, I noticed another weight on my back. It was a sheath. I put my sword in it, and turned towards Jaymon and dad. Their mouths were gaping.

        "Shall we go?" I asked. I looked behind them, and the other orcs were dead. I began walking towards the castle. Jaymon and dad caught up. The animal we went through all this trouble to save turned into a blue jay and perched on dad's shoulder.

        "Crystal?" Jaymon said, "Are you okay?" he asked when he noticed that I wasn't going to talk about what happened.

        "I'm fine." I said, "All that  happened was I killed yet another person."

        "Those aren't people." dad said behind me, "They were orcs, and they were trying to kill us. You killed the one that was about to murder Jaymon, your brother. You did what you needed to do." I stopped walking.

        "So." I said, "Who is Shard? The animal that caused all this." I turned around and Jaymon and dad stopped walking also.

        "Shard is my pet." he said, "He is the same thing to me that Crystal and Gus are to you and Jaymon. I had to help him." I looked at dad.

        "Where was he when we first found you?" I asked. Dad sighed.

        "Remeber how we are going to get something from the castle?" he said, "He wanted to do it for me to make sure I didn't get hurt. He ran away at night before I got a chance to stop him." I turned back around and started walking again. Looks like we have a new member.