-three

-------

-heartbeat on the high line, once in twenty lifetimes

-

he woke up for school early that monday morning. he was excited to go to his classes and see her sitting across from him.

he had slept in the cardigan all weekend, loving the way it smelled so much like el.

like paint and old books with a hint of coconut. it was perfect.

mike hugged himself in his bed, smelling the sleeves. he smiled, turning over to check his clock.

6:30

he changed quickly, hating to leave the cardigan behind but knowing it would be strange if he wore it. plus mike didn't want to give it back.

he ate fast, grabbing his school bag and keys to go sit in his car.

it had been a warmer spring and yet he always forgot how brutal the colder mornings were. the boy sat in his front seat, starting the old, used car and turned up the heat, waiting for it to warm up.

he fiddled with the radio, waiting for something good to turn on.

mike closed his eyes and leaned back, letting the warmth spread to his whole body.

suddenly the door opened and someone sat in the passengers seat, heaving the car to his right.

mikes eyes flew open, trying to see who had broken in.

"hey" el casually waved next to him.

"hey?" he sat up and rubbed his eyes, making sure she was actually there.

"you're up early." she remarked, pulling down the mirror and putting on lipgloss.

"you're- you're in my car." mike pointed out the obvious, still flustered.

"you offered me a ride, and i accept." she put her lip gloss away, popping her lips while closing the mirror.

he smiled, remembering their brief conversation after detention.

"you're right i guess." he laughed, pulling the car out of the street.

"where are we going?" she asked

"school i guess?" mike shrugged, he hadn't thought that far ahead.

"this early? no, no, let's go get donuts."

mike hesitated, checking the car clock.

"it's fine, we have an hour and a half, let's go get donuts!" she started pounding on the dashboard, incredibly energized for so early.

he bit his lip, considering the offer.

"i'll pay?" she said finally.

he rolled his eyes, smiling.

"yes." she quietly hissed.