13

"oh my god." i mumble as i quickly get off of nick and walk around to the passenger side of the car, picking up daya from the seat. i go to the back seat with her in my arms to grab the baby travel bag in case of any emergencies like dirty nappies or something. nick immediately gets out of the car and walks over to greet his parents. "what's her name?" nick's mum whispers quietly to him. "y/n." he replies. "she's super nervous so please be nice." they both give nick the 'i'm always nice' face as i walk back to the other side of the car.

"oh my goodness, who is this sweet girl." his mother, jo anne says as she walks over to me and daya holding her arms out. i laugh and hand daya over to her grasp. "this is dayanara." i say as i do so. "oh how precious, is this your baby sister, y/n?" she asks as i practically shoot laser beams from my eyes into nicks. "it's her daughter mum." he speaks up while my breath begins to get hitched in my chest. in this situation, i'd be more than happy to lie and say yes but it's too late for that now. "she's nearly a year old." nick continues saying as he walks over and puts his arm around my waist to which i slightly push it away.

everyone else keeps talking for about fifteen minutes until i finally ask the question i've been wanting this whole time. "do you mind if i use your bathroom?" i ask politely to jo anne as she responds with directions. finally, i am sitting alone. my breathing steadies slightly as i contemplate climbing out the bathroom window. only problem with that is that we're in carlsbad and i've never been before. to make matters worse, nick is my only way home therefore i'm going to have to make it through the night.

as i'm walking back out the front of the house i hear daya start crying as jo anne failing to calm her down, enters my view. nick however, immediately takes her from his mother and calms her almost instantly. i've never seen him handle her like that. i smile slightly walking over towards the group. "so who's ready to get going?" jo anne asks as i walk out of the house. we all agree as we walk back towards our cars. i sit in the passenger seat, silently.