VI.

Aaliyah — A Week Later

"My good angle or no?" I asked Ben after I so graciously asked him to take my picture for gram

"All 'yo angles are good angles, Li." He said with a smirk before walking towards me with my phone.

Looking up and finding his eyes caused a smile to form on my face, and I felt even better when he made us share a soft kiss. I knew to outsiders that it seemed my infatuation for him grew overnight, but after our date we've spent nearly everyday with each other. Like planned, he kept his word about tutoring me in chemistry. I was already noticing some improvement being I scored an 80 on my second exam and with some extra help from Jodie my grade saw a nice increase overall.

As a result, my coach revoked her warning and allowed me to get back into the game; my excitement to play against our biggest rival The Duke Blue Devils' this weekend was heavy on my mind. I also made an effort to speak with my academic advisor about switching majors which she said I can do successfully before midterms came about; my only hurdle right now was telling my momma.

"Somebody's calling you." Ben said, breaking my train of thought. Before I could slide to answer, the call ended and when I looked at my Home Screen to see who it was I nearly shit my pants. "Who's Sidney? One of your friends from class?"

"Y—yeah!" I said with confidence. "She must be asking me for the answers to our quiz due tomorrow."

A part of me could sense he wasn't fooled by my lie but I blew out a much needed breath when he walked ahead of me to the car.

"So you're going to give her the answers or what?"

"When we get back to my dorm, what do I look like sending answers when I'm out with you?" I said with a bit of sass.

Ben let out a laugh and nodded his head in agreement, "This is true. I was just making sure that wasn't no dude blowing you up."

"And if it was?"

Briefly, he took his eyes off the road to steal a glance and once we reached a red light he shrugged his shoulders.

"Then there would be an issue."

"Oh Ben, please. I'm not even your girlfriend."

"I mean, not right now .. but I never said it wasn't a possibility."

In a playful manner, I rolled me eyes at his antics. "You still have girls blowing up your phone and I haven't said a thing—"

"That's a lie." He cut me off. "I've told you multiple times I'm not entertaining somebody else; all of my attention is on you."

"Hmph, well then let your actions speak louder than your words."

We ended the conversation and continued the drive in silence. As my mind still raced about what Sidney's ass could possibly want, I quickly sent him a text message to gain some clarification.