Astrid

Oh the wishes I made for you

The dreams that we share

I love you, it's true

I'll always be there

My mother's song echoes in my head as I lie down in the wildflower valley.

Oh all my dreams

You've granted it seems

I love you, it's true

I'll always be there

I sigh, trying to remember her. It gets harder ever time. I look out into the valley. I remember how we used to run through the flowers together. The memory hurts my heart.

I look out in the other direction. I see the hordes of people giving their names to the Selector. I allow myself to imagine what I'd wish if I was chosen. It's not hard.

I'd wish to see her again.

Not for her to come back to life, for that would be an insult to her memory, she wished for me to live, but I lost my mother once she told the well. The wishing well.

Every year in Hydadraforth Valley, the Selector chooses five of it's citizens to tell the well their wishes. My mother was chosen in her time. 

At the time my mother was chosen, I was sick with the Crucianth disease. She wished for me to get better, but in doing so she took my sickness, and shortly passed away. I never got the chance to thank her.

I sigh, looking once again out into the wildflower fields. The Selecting will start soon, and my father will want me to be there, just in case by some millionth of a chance, it's my name that gets called.

I stand and head towards my family's cottage, my blonde hair blowing in the soft breeze. But before I go in, I reach down and pick a small wildflower and tuck it behind my ear. Just in case.