Chapter 2: Appetence

Josephine's POV

I walk into my first class of the day, Anthropology of Youth Culture, already feeling my body give up because of my tiredness.

I head down the carpeted stairs into the big classroom as I scan the tan seats for a place to sit. The classroom was built in a staggered seating as in a movie theater, but it is fully packed. Making me regret my decision to opt for a popular class.

My eyes fall on a few empty seats scattered about in the middle rows. Sliding past the legs of the other students, I drop into a chair. Conscious of keeping my boundaries by not seating right next to the guy to my left and also leaving another free seat between me and another girl on my right.

Just as I am taking my laptop out of my bag, a weird feeling creeps onto my back as if someone's eyes were on me. But as I turn around and my eyes roam around the room looking for the source, I find none due to how many students are here.

It's probably just me imagining stuff out of reality. I blame my lack of sleep; I really should fix my sleeping schedule.

I forget about the feeling as professor Whatshisname stands up from his desk and begins the lecture.

Halfway through, I sense the same feeling from earlier. My hand, as I annotate in my notebook, halts as I look around the classroom. It has been minutes now, and it's become unbearable for me to keep ignoring it. Stronger this time, I feel my skin prickle. My back warming under someone's intense stare, scorching me. And the tiny hairs on my arms stand on end.

I usually seat among the last rows, even so, even when I occasionally used the front rows, no one ever noticed me. I am invisible.

Today, though, it's impossible not to feel it.

Almost an hour into the class, and with only thirty minutes left to go, my eyes close in their own accord. Restlessness invading my body, no longer caring about the burning stare.

I hear something about the negative consequences of technology, followed by what I think was about the faults in our generation, but I'm too tired for my brain to process the professor's jumbled words. His boring voice is not helping either, it's just lulling me into slumber.

I rub my hand over my face, unable to keep up. What is he even talking about now? Dammit. Sighing, I shake my head, making up the idea in my mind that I will have to ask someone for their notes.

"See? This is exactly what I'm talking about. Anything you want to comment, miss?" The professor calls out.

When nobody responds after a few seconds, I slowly raise my eyes, seeing the professor standing still and looking directly at me. Oh shit.

I look over at the girl to my right, my mouth a little agape from the shock. I haven't even said anything. When my eyes return to the professor, I timidly ask, "Me?" Fuck Josephine.

"A college is a place where you go to study and learn-" The professor preaches. No shit, Sherlock. "If you're going to come here to barely pay attention, or worse, to sleep, better allow someone who is truly enthusiastic to learn."

I hear someone snort in the back, but I don't dare to glance around with the professor's stern eyes on me. "You know what's the problem with these future generations like yours..." The professor repeats the phrase I think he said just some minutes ago. Finally, he moves from his spot and directs his eyes to the other students. "You feel entitled to have it all, have it in the easiest way and now. You lack the essential sense of appreciation and respect. The determination of hardworking to thrive."

What is this man talking about? Entitled? My ass. "Excuse me? Where the fuck is this even coming from?" I hear myself asking out loud, my temper taking over my desire to sleep. Careless still for my foul language.