Chapter 18: Effulgent city

Hero's POV

Soon enough, she parks the car and turns off the engine. I climb off the car and join her as she's already walking closer to observe the city from this perspective, with such striding steps as if she owned the place. "Do you come here often?" I ask her as I reach her side.

"Used to." She responds absentmindedly as her focus is on the surroundings. It brings a different sense of peace, the air that carries the day into the night. Gusts of air rearranging Jo's hair, the very distant sound of cars horns and city traffic, and that comfort that only comes after the sun is down.

I look up, hints of blue darken the hue of the sky. And as I lower my gaze, I set it on the skyline of LA. Unlike from the sight during the road, from this point of view, everything is clear. Lights illuminating each home and different constructions. Outlines of the highest towers located in the closest areas.

"Isn't it beautiful?" Jo asks. "This used to be my safe place, you know? During my high school years, I would come here every other day."

I don't say anything in hopes she wants to keep sharing about this place.

"I'm not sure if many other people knew about this little spot, but I've never encountered anyone else here. I would use to watch the view for hours, thinking this place is secluded only for me, away from the rest of the World."

Just then a thought pierces my head, one I don't seem to be able to shake off.

Since we arrived, Jo turns to look back at me and frowns. "Hero? What is it?"

I don't avert my eyes from the view she was just glancing at. "About what?"

"You didn't like this place? I thought you'd appreciate the vantage of the city and the...sky." A hint of disappointment laces in her tone and it inflames my gut with guilt.

"Ye-Yeah," I say dubiously. "It's really pretty."

I finally turn to Jo. Her eyes already watching me intently, wearing an expression between apprehension and tenderness for me and something else I can't discern.

It makes my chest ache all the same, but because I hate that I like seeing her so fixed on me. With a voice as soft as a low breeze, she inquires, "Then why are your eyes gloom?"

She reads me too well.

Another thing I hate and like at the same time.

I wreck my mind for any remote idea of how to explain her in words what I see.

My feet carry me closer to Jo's side and her eyes follow my every move. She keeps staring at me over her shoulder as I stand still at the graze of my chest and her back. My arm rounds her side and with a gentle hand, I grip her chin to drift her head away and towards the sight in front of us. The moonlight casting a glow in the now murky sky and a gazillion of lights glinting in the distance.

Not a sole shadow reaches her frame, whereas the nightfall shallows every inch of me.

I keep her face positioned while my other tucks a lock of hair behind her ear, making sure I only barely graze the shell of her skin with my fingertip. Still at that, she fights a shiver that runs down through her.