XVIII

You were walking down the hallways of your college dorm, school bag swinging from your shoulder. You had just gotten out of your last class of the day, and were walking to get some boba at the newest shop.

You hummed a simple tune, feeling quite joyous today. All of your classes had gone by easily since you were used to lectures. You even got assigned to a partner project with a new transfer, Semi Eita.

He was a pretty nice guy, despite having a pretty short fuse. He piqued your interest, and you really wanted to get to know him better. Perhaps you could become something with him, in time.

"Hey, (L/n)."

You turned around, meeting the current occupant of your thoughts. Semi had just stepped out from the door in front of you, wearing a small smile. He was dressed differently from when you saw him this morning, wearing a casual hoodie and pants.

"Oh, hey Semi." You greeted, returning a kind smile. "You can call me (F/n), by the way!"

Semi nodded and motioned to the door he was holding open. You stepped through after he made room for you, and you two started for the wing exit.

"Where are you heading to?" Semi questioned, adjusting his bag. Your gaze focused forward with great difficulty, as you couldn't seem to take your gaze off of the boy.

"The newest boba shop.. would you like to join me?" You asked, quite timidly. You've never had experience with asking people to hang out, as they would always be the ones offering. This was all new to you, so you didn't exactly know the best way to ask.

Semi let out a small laugh, and gave your head a pat. "Sure, you don't have to be so formal ya know?"

Your stomach churned at his words. You had not even noticed you were being so serious.

Perhaps Kita did influence you a little.

"Sorry, sorry." You chuckled, waving your hands through the air. "I don't usually ask people to hang out with me." You admitted, a small pit opening in your stomach at the thought.

You had spent the past year of your college life alone, except for the rare visit from Suna when he wasn't busy. Other than that, you were alone, not bothering to make new friends. Semi was the first person you had bothered to befriend, and you didn't regret doing so. Semi was a really easygoing person, who was actually willing to show any interest in you.

Besides, you guys didn't have to communicate through letters.

"That's fine, there's a first for everything." Semi eye-smiled, focusing his gaze to the sky above. You did so as well, noting the autumn atmosphere. The foliage was already painted various shades of yellow, red, and orange. The air was cold to the skin, a message to everyone to start dressing warmly.

Most importantly, the sky was painted a pastel red, mixed on with splashes of yellow. Wispy clouds raced through the sky, reminding you of the fall days in high school when you would sneak out and stargaze with Suna.

You stuffed your hands in your pockets, really starting to feel the chilling breeze grazing your bare skin. Semi noticed this, and nudged you with his shoulder. You looked up at him confusedly, to which he nodded towards his neck. There sat a maroon scarf, draped down his whole torso.

"You're cold." Semi stated, pointing to his scarf with one hand. His other slowly untangled the clothing, soon with the help of his pointing. He flipped the scarf a few times, before wrapping it delicately around your neck.

"Thanks." You mumbled, trying to ignore the flaring feeling creeping up on your cheeks. Semi's own face was dusted a light pink as he waved you off with an eye roll.

"It's nothing, let's get to that shop."

"What's your order?" Semi whispered, leaning against the counter with one hand. He was scanning the chalked menu with curiosity, also awaiting your response.

"Green milk tea." You answered, joining him in checking out the menu. This boba shop had many more additions than the last one you went to, offering a much more unique flavor variety.

"I can take your order!" A young woman piped up, retying her apron around her waist. You joined Semi in walking up to the ordering counter, checking for a place to sit as you did so.

"I'll have the coffee milk tea, and she'll have the green milk tea." Semi said, glancing back at you. The worker nodded quickly, calling your order to a co-worker.

"Alright, your total will be 650 yen." The woman stated, with a few clicks on the cash register. You dug through your pocket for your purse, pulling out 700 yen to pay. Apparently you were too slow, as Semi had already placed the money on the counter.

"You didn't have to, Semi." You frowned, holding your drink's price out to him in repayment. Semi gently pushed the yen back to you, shaking his head.

"You were planning on doing the same thing, so you can pay me next time." Semi said, adding in a sly wink. Your chest lost all air at his comment, forcing you to turn around and regain your breath.

Your orders soon came in, and you picked out a seat you were previously observing. Semi handed your drink to you, looking down at his own with slight confusion.

"I'm guessing you've never had boba before." You laughed, poking your straw through the hole.

"Shut up, it's not funny." Semi groaned, eyeing the boba as if it was a foreign creature. You kicked his leg from under the table, earning an eye narrow from him. This caused you to burst out in a fit of laughter, finding his annoyance amusing.

"Alright, alright. Let me help you." You said, making grabby hands for Semi's boba. He handed the drink to you along with the straw, allowing you to set him up. You handed his boba back, holding yours up in the process.

"Cheers?" He asked, holding his drink up for you. A smile made its way upon both of your faces at the childish act, reminding you once again of your highschool days.

Semi's eyes met yours again, this time holding a soft light to them. He smiled at you, eyes creasing ever so slightly in happiness. You did the same, finding it hard to resist your belonging around Semi.

The first person who bothered to stick around.

"Cheers, to whatever comes next." You grinned, clicking your drink softly with his. You both sat back, each taking a sip of your drinks at the same time.

"Wow, this is really good!"

"You're welcome."

"..whatever, just take me here more often."

Author's note

OOF bet y'all weren't expecting this. Did I mention that this story would include a plot twist? Sorry if ya don't like it, but it's what I decided to do!

Anyway, I've decided to make this story longer than originally intended, so enjoy the ride

Also expect less letters parts, though they'll still be included in most chapters.